Arthritis In Old Age?

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sorry, but you don't know that for certain.

She may have good days and bad, or be different at different times of day, or have to make a huge effort to visit her father which she pays for later. 

All the above also apply to me, yet I still make the effort to visit my 97+ year old father.

Some people's diabilities are hidden, and some people prefer to keep it that way and put on a brave front.

Exactly !!      I'm registered disabled and have ' good and bad days ' but a few years ago I used to go to an elderly uncle's to do some cleaning,washing and ironing etc.  Often I'd be going 3 times a week from Barnsley to Sheffield up until he passed away 5 years ago.  He was like a dad to me and I did it out of love for him but believe me sometimes it nearly killed me.

17 hours ago, Anna B said:

Sorry, but you don't know that for certain.

She may have good days and bad, or be different at different times of day, or have to make a huge effort to visit her father which she pays for later. 

All the above also apply to me, yet I still make the effort to visit my 97+ year old father.

Some people's diabilities are hidden, and some people prefer to keep it that way and put on a brave front.

Well I guess you know her better than me :)

12 hours ago, El Cid said:

Well I guess you know her better than me :)

Well it was more of a generalised comment rather than about your wife in particular. I meant no offfence. I wanted to make the point that not all disabilities are visable or obvious.  

I was actually thinking of a friend who has MS (Multiple Sclerosis). She's young, stylish, full of fun and the life and soul of the party. People say how amazing she is, (she really is...)

Then you find out she's permanently on a Morphine pump under her clothes, and will have to spend the next week days in bed recovering,  emerging slowly into a wheel chair.

But of course nobody sees that. She makes sure of it.  

I get a bit upset when people assume people on PIP etc are 'scroungers' without seeing the whole picture. 

Edited by Anna B

Following the Autumn Statement the government is now going after the disabled, aiming to halve the amount of money in the pot. He means to get half of the people claiming disability working, and if they fail, stop their money after 6 months. 

Cruel in the extreme to suggest half are capable of work. A few might be swinging the lead, but half is an insult.

I suspect the suicide rate will rocket, but that won't bother him.

If he can torment half the disabled into committing suicide, -  job done.

Edited by Anna B

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Following the Autumn Statement the government is now going after the disabled, aiming to halve the amount of money in the pot. He means to get half of the people claiming disability working, and if they fail, stop their money after 6 months. 

Cruel in the extreme to suggest half are capable of work. A few might be swinging the lead, but half is an insult.

I suspect the suicide rate will rocket, but that won't bother him. If he can torment half the disabled into committing suicide, job done.

Many more are not working, after COVID. 

That could be because they are ill, or just got the taste of being paid to stay home. 

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Many more are not working, after COVID. 

That could be because they are ill, or just got the taste of being paid to stay home. 

Covid has created many problems, long covid is just one of them. I doubt if people working from home are as productive either. The long NHS waiting lists have caused a lot of people to put their working lives on hold, some for years, and mental health is the worst it's ever been but very little help is available.

A lot of the available jobs are hard and physical, they require people who are fully fit. The amount of support disabled people need to hold down a job is going to put pressure on employers who will say they can't afford it, and that could worsen the disabled's conditions.

This is just going to be yet another witch hunt of the most vulnerable in society who are suffering enough already. 

Disgraceful.

Edited by Anna B

15 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I called the doctors today, surprisingly got straight through and saw the doc today. 

They just referred me for an xray, just turn up next week. 

I don't expect it to show severe arthritis in my hip, just wait and see. 

Why, what do you expect it to show?

Anyway the waiting lists are long if you do need a new hip, so the sooner you get on the list the better

Good luck. 

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Why, what do you expect it to show?

Anyway the waiting lists are long if you do need a new hip, so the sooner you get on the list the better

Good luck. 

I just need to be reassured that it is arthritis and just keep going.