Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I retired from my city centre job 13 years ago and have never stepped foot in it since. I can well manage with the plethora of suburban retail centres and the large supermarkets, a cc with zero department stores is ridiculous.

It does still have department stores. Just not as many as it used to, same as every other city in the country.

Perhaps if you did decide to step foot back in the city you would know what you were talking about. 

26 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It does still have department stores. Just not as many as it used to, same as every other city in the country.

Perhaps if you did decide to step foot back in the city you would know what you were talking about. 

Please tell this mindless idiot the names of the surviving department stores, I have no problem with being educated, but by you, I don’t think so.

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

Please tell this mindless idiot the names of the surviving department stores, I have no problem with being educated, but by you, I don’t think so.

Atkinsons for starters.

The world has moved on from department stores. Debenhams has gone. House of Fraser has gone.  Allders has gone.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Atkinsons for starters.

The world has moved on from department stores. Debenhams has gone. House of Fraser has gone.  Allders has gone.

Anything for seconds? The multiple retailers have throw in the towel, what has the world moved on to?

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

Anything for seconds? The multiple retailers have throw in the towel, what has the world moved on to?

Online, mainly. Shopping habits change constantly, this cant be a surprise to you.

Struggling to think of a 2nd department store in Sheffield, which proves the point further.

Off the top of my head, more residential and just different types of entertainment.

Are you genuinely trying to compare urban areas (as a whole, this isnt just Sheffield btw that has changed) in the year 2023 to the year 1962?

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Aren’t Walsh’s, Cockaynes and Cole Brothers there anymore? And how’s the Locarno doing nowadays?

It’s a long time since I was in the city centre!

echo.

Yup all still there, along with the Hole In The Road, the Egg Box, and Redgates. Nothing ever changes, you see.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Just now, echo beach said:

Aren’t Walsh’s, Cockaynes and Cole Brothers there anymore? And how’s the Locarno doing nowadays?

It’s a long time since I was in the city centre!

echo.

No, no and no.

Locarno - if it's the one on London Road, it is now a Budgens (I think)