Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

Guest busdriver1
16 hours ago, crookesey said:

Nothing that an international airport wouldn’t sort out.

There are plenty other towns and Citys that cope quite well without their own dedicated airports, Nottingham, Leicester, Oxford, Cheltenham / Gloucester, most South Coast towns all seem to manage. They are not a major factor in determining if a town can prosper though in some cases can help

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

There are plenty other towns and Citys that cope quite well without their own dedicated airports, Nottingham, Leicester, Oxford, Cheltenham / Gloucester, most South Coast towns all seem to manage. They are not a major factor in determining if a town can prosper though in some cases can help

I'd argue that Sheffield is far larger than those, and with a bigger conurbation. If we want to get ahead we really do need an airport, especially now Doncaster Robin hood has closed down.

8 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

It wouldn’t do any harm, and for those who say Sheffield couldn’t take one, where there’s a will there’s a way.

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Go on then, tell us your plan for where one can go. 

Well Manchester Airport some 8 miles from Manchester, as for my plan, I consider the possibility of many things without having the qualification to ratify them, but I’m thinking a similar distance away from Sheffield as a possibility.

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Well Manchester Airport some 8 miles from Manchester, as for my plan, I consider the possibility of many things without having the qualification to ratify them, but I’m thinking a similar distance away from Sheffield as a possibility.

OK, 8 miles outside of Sheffield isn't going to actually be in Sheffield is it, unless it's over Stocksbridge way and that's hardly ideal for access. Nor is there anywhere near enough flat land.  Comparisons to the Greater Manchester urban area are a bit erroneous given that's 10 local authorities combined.

Well no, anyone can say anything but they usually need to be able to back it up. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK, 8 miles outside of Sheffield isn't going to actually be in Sheffield is it, unless it's over Stocksbridge way and that's hardly ideal for access. Nor is there anywhere near enough flat land.  Comparisons to the Greater Manchester urban area are a bit erroneous given that's 10 local authorities combined.

Well no, anyone can say anything but they usually need to be able to back it up. 

So everything that you have said in your plethora of posts over the last couple of years you can back up, you’re a damned sight smarter than me.?

14 minutes ago, crookesey said:

So everything that you have said in your plethora of posts over the last couple of years you can back up, you’re a damned sight smarter than me.?

I'm merely asking you to specify a location as to where a runway of at least 6,000ft (the minimum required to land planes such as the Airbus A320, of which Easyjet have over 300), plus all associated terminal buildings and other infrastructure, can be located anywhere near Sheffield. 

You are the one who suggested it, not me. 

As a point of comparison the runway at the old Sheffield airport wasn't even 4,000ft.

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I'm merely asking you to specify a location as to where a runway of at least 6,000ft (the minimum required to land planes such as the Airbus A320, of which Easyjet have over 300), plus all associated terminal buildings and other infrastructure, can be located anywhere near Sheffield. 

You are the one who suggested it, not me. 

As you so rightly say, it was a ‘suggestion’, you appear to have countered it as not possible, isn’t that what forums are there for?