Why Is Sheffield So Far Behind Many Other Uk Cities?

26b-6

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

They’ve recently consulted on their overall mass transit vision, which you can find here

51% of respondees fully supported it and 37% partially supported it.

As we all know, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 51% of how many? A figure that would reflect WAY more accurately the actual amount of people wanting their council to squander billions would be the total of people in favour from a survey of how many. Percentages can look good whilst being meaningless without context, and old old con to get the right sort of outcome.

1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

As we all know, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. 51% of how many? A figure that would reflect WAY more accurately the actual amount of people wanting their council to squander billions would be the total of people in favour from a survey of how many. Percentages can look good whilst being meaningless without context, and old old con to get the right sort of outcome.

:thumbsup:

Manchester now have 2 indoor arenas.  The latest is the biggest in the UK with approximately 10,000 more seats then Sheffield.  So that's more of a reason for the top acts to give Sheffield a swerve. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-op_Live

I heard that Peter Kay is the opening act.  So no doubt Sheffielders will be travelling over the Pennines, spending their money in Manchester. 

5 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

If you bothered looking at the document I linked to, it tells you how many responses they got.

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Manchester now have 2 indoor arenas.  The latest is the biggest in the UK with approximately 10,000 more seats then Sheffield.  So that's more of a reason for the top acts to give Sheffield a swerve. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-op_Live

I heard that Peter Kay is the opening act.  So no doubt Sheffielders will be travelling over the Pennines, spending their money in Manchester. 

And population of Greater Manchester is 4 or 5 times that of Sheffield.

39 minutes ago, Longcol said:

They've 4 or 5 times the population on their doorstep to support 3 big indoor arenas.

London's largest indoor arena is the O2 with a capacity of 20,000.  Greater London's population is 9.5 million.  So once again, I can't see what you're getting at with a regions population?  Absolutely no correlation what so ever, so it's another "And" from me. 

You put a show on at Sheffield's Arena, do you think the entire audience is made up of Sheffielders?  Likewise, not everyone from Manchester, (smaller population than Sheffield) , let alone Greater Manchester, won't all be at a Manchester show.  People buy tickets & travel.   

As far as Manchester is concerned it's more about ambition & making a statement by saying we now have the largest capacity indoor arena in the UK, come bring your business here. 

Edited by Baron99

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

London's largest indoor arena is the O2 with a capacity of 20,000.  Greater London's population is 9.5 million.  So once again, I can't see what you're getting at with a regions population?  Absolutely no correlation what so ever, so it's another "And" from me. 

You put a show on at Sheffield's Arena, do you think the entire audience is made up of Sheffielders?  Likewise, not everyone from Manchester, (smaller population than Sheffield) , let alone Greater Manchester, won't all be at a Manchester show.  People buy tickets & travel.   

As far as Manchester is concerned it's more about ambition & making a statement by saying we now have the largest capacity indoor arena in the UK, come bring your business here. 

Now you are being silly. City of Manchester is a small part of Greater Manchester - doesn't even include Man Utd home ground, Old Trafford cricket ground, Trafford Shopping Centre, Manchester Airport etc......................................

Manchester has a bigger population to draw on - period.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Now you are being silly. City of Manchester is a small part of Greater Manchester - doesn't even include Man Utd home ground, Old Trafford cricket ground, Trafford Shopping Centre, Manchester Airport etc......................................

Manchester has a bigger population to draw on - period.

Stop being obtuse & I mean that in the slow to understand definition.