Nokia 110 4g Calling Emergency Even When Locked.

Chekhov

25 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Why wouldn't 112 do anything? that's the number that is 'standard' across the EU member countries (and us as we WERE part of it when that was introduced in 1995) it's also part of the GSM standard for over here!

911 is for the US! 

I didn't think the "1" bottom worked in lock when I tested it last night, but it's quite faff testing it properly as I have to put the SIM in (from my other phone) or the lock feature won't work.

Edited by Chekhov

• 4 weeks later...

Well well well, here's an answer to those on here that think I am "making a fuss about nothing".

My phone made another accidental call to the emergency services this morning and the lady told me they are getting loads of time wasting accidental calls "it's a nightmare". Apparently "Samsung are one of the worst ones".

It is an utterly stupid idea that not only will the phone dial emergency numbers when in lock mode, but, even worse, it does not reset itself after, say 3 seconds. The accidentally dialled number just remains there until another is accidentally pressed, and then that too just waits there until a third one is pressed, then Bingo.

This is another classic example of our cotton wool modern society where we (not me...) are desperate for anything "to keep us safe", even by an infinitesimal amount, and totally regardless of the cost / inconvenience......

As stated earlier is is probable that the time that is wasted answering accidental calls makes it - nett - MORE dangerous for us all to have phones which will dial the emergency services even when in lock mode....

Edited by Chekhov

It should be OFF by default, and switched on if the user thinks they require it.

On my phone you push the power button 5 times in a row... potentially easily done if it's in your pocket and your phone is getting squeezed.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these accidental calls are made by women, the latest trend seems to be to tuck a mobile into the back pocket on jeans and have it sticking out... just seems to be waving a flag for pickpockets personally 🙄

12 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

It should be OFF by default, and switched on if the user thinks they require it.

On my phone you push the power button 5 times in a row... potentially easily done if it's in your pocket and your phone is getting squeezed.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these accidental calls are made by women, the latest trend seems to be to tuck a mobile into the back pocket on jeans and have it sticking out... just seems to be waving a flag for pickpockets personally 🙄

>>It should be OFF by default, and switched on if the user thinks they require it.<<

What do you mean by that, what should be switched off by default ?

Just to recap, the problem is that even when in "Lock" mode my phone will still dial a "1" and a "9".

This is compounded by the fact that the phone does not reset after a few seconds (as my last phone did), that 1 or 9 remains there in until such time as it is either manually deleted or 1 or 9 get accidentally pushed another two times, then an emergency call is made.

I would have thought that even those on here (like @altus ) who argue  all phones should be able to make emergency calls in Lock mode (and the owner should not be allowed to turn it off....), would agree the phone should reset after a few seconds.  Surely ? 

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>It should be OFF by default, and switched on if the user thinks they require it.<<

What do you mean by that, what should be switched off by default ?

Just to recap, the problem is that even when in "Lock" mode my phone will still dial a "1" and a "9".

This is compounded by the fact that the phone does not reset after a few seconds (as my last phone did), that 1 or 9 remains there in until such time as it is either manually deleted or 1 or 9 get accidentally pushed another two times, then an emergency call is made.

I would have thought that even those on here (like @altus ) who argue  all phones should be able to make emergency calls in Lock mode (and the owner should not be allowed to turn it off....), would agree the phone should reset after a few seconds.  Surely ? 

Exactly that.

The whole emergency dialling thing should be off by default and be turned on by the user if they think it's something they might need 👍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Exactly that.

The whole emergency dialling thing should be off by default and be turned on by the user if they think it's something they might need 👍

I agree with you, or, at the very least, the owner should be able to turn it off if that's what they want. The problem is that comes up against the  individual responsibility and freedom v the collective good of society issue. And these days that pretty much always goes the way of the latter, hence the fact @altus was arguing we should all be forced to have phones which can ring 999 even when in lock mode.

Having said that, particularly after what that Emergency Services operator told me, the argument for the safety of society being increased by that "law" is not as clear cut as it would seem (as the operators waste loads of time of these accidental calls).

Edited by Chekhov

I agree too. The first thought that came to me was to simply turn off such a function on the phone - to make emergency calls.
And I also want to say that it is very cool that you do not use a smartphone, because they take too much time from our lives, so I fully support the decision to be with an old phone, which nevertheless fulfills its main function - to call.

On 27/12/2023 at 09:35, Chekhov said:

Well well well, here's an answer to those on here that think I am "making a fuss about nothing".

My phone made another accidental call to the emergency services this morning and the lady told me they are getting loads of time wasting accidental calls "it's a nightmare". Apparently "Samsung are one of the worst ones".

Ahh, aren't Samsungs Android ?

Police warning as Android mobile phone software update leads to spike in accidental 999 calls

Police forces are urging people to check their mobile phone software as they battle a rise in accidental silent 999 calls caused by an Android update.

Control rooms across the country have reported a surge in so-called "pocket dials" following a recent Android update, which triggers an emergency call when the side button is pressed five times.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-06-14/spike-in-accidental-999-calls-caused-by-android-software-update

Still, I'm sure @altus knows it's all for the common good, so that's alright then.

21 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Ahh, aren't Samsungs Android ?

Police warning as Android mobile phone software update leads to spike in accidental 999 calls

Police forces are urging people to check their mobile phone software as they battle a rise in accidental silent 999 calls caused by an Android update.

Control rooms across the country have reported a surge in so-called "pocket dials" following a recent Android update, which triggers an emergency call when the side button is pressed five times.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-06-14/spike-in-accidental-999-calls-caused-by-android-software-update

Still, I'm sure @altus knows it's all for the common good, so that's alright then.

So you found an article from over 6 months ago, that says they problem has been addressed. You know how you keep going on about proportionate risk...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, altus said:

So you found an article from over 6 months ago, that says they problem has been addressed. You know how you keep going on about proportionate risk...

You aren't reading this thread are you ? This was 8 days ago :

On 27/12/2023 at 09:35, Chekhov said:

My phone made another accidental call to the emergency services this morning and the lady [operator] told me they are getting loads of time wasting accidental calls "it's a nightmare". Apparently "Samsung are one of the worst ones".

>>proportionate risk<<

And the chances are that a phone in lock mode would cause someone to die is very small.

What we do know for a fact is that all these accidental emergency calls are definitely very annoying, and are definitely wasting much time in emergency call centres.

Next.

Edited by Chekhov