Nokia 110 4g Calling Emergency Even When Locked.

Chekhov

13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

It's actually part of the original GSM specification that emergency calls should be possible when the phone is in a locked state... (and also with no SIM card)
if you want to rage at someone, rage at ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) - as they are the ones who made the decision...

So why did my old Nokia 2310 never make an emergency call then ?

Have they change the "regulations" since that was manufactured ?

I could believe it if that was the case, typical modern modern risk aversion ballcocks.

For all Health & Safety edicts we should ask : exactly how much safer will it make us if my phone is able to make emergency calls even when locked ? = As close to zero as it is possible to be without actually being zero

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ? = Loads of annoyance and unnecessary calls to the emergency services..

Edited by Chekhov

9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I could believe it if that was the case, typical modern modern risk aversion ballcocks.

For all Health & Safety edicts we should ask : exactly how much safer will it make us if my phone is able to make emergency calls even when locked ? = As close to zero as it is possible to be without actually being zero

And what are we sacrificing to achieve that ? = Loads of annoyance and unnecessary calls to the emergency services..

A simple suggestion - upgrade the phone to a 'non-button' type. I've no idea, but how old is the Nokia?

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

A simple suggestion - upgrade the phone to a 'non-button' type. I've no idea, but how old is the Nokia?

I have only just bought it ! I want a small non smart phone so I can get away from the internet (and not get digital dementia....).

But why should I be forced to buy a new phone (or new baggier trousers ! ) just because they stop me from fully locking my phone ? ! ? 

Edited by Chekhov

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have only just bought it ! I want a small non smart phone so I can get away from the internet (and not get digital dementia....).

But why should I be forced to buy a new phone (or new baggier trousers ! ) just because they stop me from fully locking my phone ? ! ? 

Fair enough - although I have a 'smart' phone, with a very small data allowance -which  is never used, but there if I need it. And it stays locked, and unable to dial out, unless I physically unlock it.

6 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - although I have a 'smart' phone, with a very small data allowance -which  is never used, but there if I need it. And it stays locked, and unable to dial out, unless I physically unlock it.

I am pretty sure if I had a smart phone I'd get sucked into using it !

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It was a different phone, different shape, different buttons etc.
It probably just never happened.
I had it happen on an old phone of mine (about 10 or so years ago) but it hasn't happened on one since.

And no, regulations have not changed.... Its been that way since '87

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

I had it happen on an old phone of mine (about 10 or so years ago) but it hasn't happened on one since.

Well, whether it's been that way since 1987 or not I still think it's a stupid idea, and the fact the owner cannot modify it is out of order.

On 22/11/2023 at 15:14, Ghozer said:

I have managed to reactivate my Nokia 2310 and whilst its "1" button is locked, it's "9" button is not.

However, the older phone required you to dial 9 three times and then press call within a few seconds or it resets.

On the newer Nokia 110 one can accidentally dial 999 when its in "lock", but it remains there for ages (I got bored waiting after 5 minutes...) just waiting for "call" to be accidentally be pressed.

The 110 would also dial 112 even in lock mode, I then pressed "call" not expecting it to do anything (as we're in the UK not the USA) but it appeared to start ringing through so I disconnected the call ASAP. The old phone would not have done that as the "1"appeared to be locked.

One could speculate on just how much safer these "advances" make society than the older phones (ignoring the waste of time to the emergency operators from the accidental calls), but I surmise it's as close to zero as it's possible to be without actually being zero.

I can only repeat that in all the years I used my old Nokia 2310 it never accidentally dialled through to the emergency services. 

Edited by Chekhov

19 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have managed to reactivate my Nokia 2310 and whilst its "1" button is locked, it's "9" button is not.

However, the older phone required you to dial 9 three times and then press call within a few seconds or it resets.

On the newer Nokia 110 one can accidentally dial 999 when its in "lock", but it remains there for ages (I got bored waiting after 5 minutes...) just waiting for "call" to be accidentally be pressed.

The 110 would also dial 112 even in lock mode, I then pressed "call" not expecting it to do anything (as we're in the UK not the USA) but it appeared to start ringing through so I disconnected the call ASAP. The old phone would not have done that as the "1"appeared to be locked.

One could speculate on just how much safer these "advances" make society than the older phones (ignoring the waste of time to the emergency operators from the accidental calls), but I surmise it's as close to zero as it's possible to be without actually being zero.

I can only repeat that in all the years I used my old Nokia 2310 it never accidentally dialled through to the emergency services. 

Why wouldn't 112 do anything? that's the number that is 'standard' across the EU member countries (and us as we WERE part of it when that was introduced in 1995) it's also part of the GSM standard for over here!

911 is for the US! 

Edited by Ghozer