Nokia 110 4g Calling Emergency Even When Locked.

Chekhov

23 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Ahh, aren't Samsungs Android ?

Police warning as Android mobile phone software update leads to spike in accidental 999 calls

Police forces are urging people to check their mobile phone software as they battle a rise in accidental silent 999 calls caused by an Android update.

Control rooms across the country have reported a surge in so-called "pocket dials" following a recent Android update, which triggers an emergency call when the side button is pressed five times.

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2023-06-14/spike-in-accidental-999-calls-caused-by-android-software-update-review

Still, I'm sure @altus knows it's all for the common good, so that's alright then.

I think this conversation is exhausted after these words: 

On 28/12/2023 at 16:32, Pyrotequila said:

Exactly that.

The whole emergency dialling thing should be off by default and be turned on by the user if they think it's something they might need 👍

But an interesting point, in the instructions on the official Nokia website it is written that in order to make an emergency call, you must first unlock the phone :)
https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/support/nokia-110-4g-user-guide/emergency-calls

Edited by dictant
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had a text from SY Police saying they had an abandoned (emergency call), interestingly that is not listed under the same number as the other seven. So, by the call counter, we're up to 8 (EIGHT) accidental emergency calls in only three and a half months. Still, I'm sure @altus still thinks it's  a good idea that I cannot fully lock my phone, after all, anything to keep us safe.......

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Just had a text from SY Police saying they had an abandoned (emergency call), interestingly that is not listed under the same number as the other seven. So, by the call counter, we're up to 8 (EIGHT) accidental emergency calls in only three and a half months. Still, I'm sure @altus still thinks it's  a good idea that I cannot fully lock my phone, after all, anything to keep us safe.......

I think it's time you either started wearing looser fitting trousers or got a flip phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, altus said:

I think it's time you either started wearing looser fitting trousers or got a flip phone.

Right, let's just get this right.

I buy a phone, I want to put it into lock mode to stop it dialling the emergency services but am prevented from doing that by some ludicrous rule, so, as a result of the latter, it keeps dialling the emergency services, but it's still my fault.

Thus I should either buy a new wardrobe or chuck the phone away and buy another (which may also have the same issue)

Have I got that right ?

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Right, let's just get this right.

I buy a phone, I want to put it into lock mode to stop it dialling the emergency services but am prevented from doing that by some ludicrous rule, so, as a result of the latter, it keeps dialling the emergency services, but it's still my fault.

Thus I should either buy a new wardrobe or chuck the phone away and buy another (which may also have the same issue)

Have I got that right ?

If everybody with such a phone was misdialling the emergency services as frequently as you seem to do I suspect they'd make a lot more fuss about it than they do. That implies that it's something you are doing that makes misdialling more likely. If you identified that your (hypothetical) toddler kept dialling 999 on a land line handset you'd do something like move it out of their reach. Find out when your phone makes these emergency calls, figure out what you're doing at that time and then see if a change in you behaviour stops them.

Complaining that the world doesn't work exactly as you think it should isn't going to get you anywhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2024 at 18:17, altus said:

If everybody with such a phone was misdialling the emergency services as frequently as you seem to do I suspect they'd make a lot more fuss about it than they do. That implies that it's something you are doing that makes misdialling more likely. If you identified that your (hypothetical) toddler kept dialling 999 on a land line handset you'd do something like move it out of their reach. Find out when your phone makes these emergency calls, figure out what you're doing at that time and then see if a change in you behaviour stops them.

Complaining that the world doesn't work exactly as you think it should isn't going to get you anywhere.

I have discovered why my phone keeps dialling the emergency numbers :

1 - It has big number buttons which are easily "entered".

2 - It has been designed by an idiot (it keeps numbers 1 and 9 in the register until they are manually deleted, even if the phone is in lock mode).

3 - The ludicrous rule that prevents me choosing to fully lock my own phone. Apparently we cannot use the word "authoritarian" any more so I will call that regulation "dictatorial" instead.

I have to say every time that soddin' phone makes a beep sound (i.e. a button has been accidentally pressed) I blame this "dictatorial" world in general and Altus in particular (because  argues for this restriction of my right to fully lock my own phone) !

Today we had an anecdote and a half, I will be able to dine out on this for years.

I was at work and unbeknownst to me my phone had called 999, so the emergency operator rang me back, not for the first time I may add.

I explained what it was, which they accepted, but then said to me that "we heard a child scream out 'get off of me' ", what was that ? I must confess to being a bit annoyed I should have to be explaining myself when I had done nothing wrong, he had actually been battling packaging tape.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Thanks for letting us know. Thought you had gone?

He's a Tragedian In Spite Of Himself....