Meadowhead New Football/Rugby Ground Plus More

12 minutes ago, DumDom said:

At Planner 1,Yes I do know how to use the quote but I didn’t want the irrelevant waffle in between. 

What is the point of double yellow lines if they aren’t patrolled ? as the matches would be played at weekends and evenings this is when the parking enforcers don’t work.  Pointless waste of money.

Parking services work evenings and weekends.

They enforce at football matches too.

In residential areas, the best anyone can expect is occasional enforcement. The threat of enforcement is sufficient to ensure that the vast majority of drivers comply with the rules. Parking services have priorities like any other services. They tend to prioritise main routes, the city centre and permit parking schemes.

If residents spot persistent abuse of restrictions, they can let parking services know where and when it occurs and one of their mobile teams can visit.

The levels of enforcement that can reasonably be expected is a matter for debate and it depends on how much resource ( money) politicians will allocate for it. Some people would welcome more enforcement, others might think it too draconian. That’s why it’s politicians who decide.

4 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why did he say the person who passed st james retail park was mad? was it because its affecting his plan? 

Why don’t you ask him? 

You’re capable of posting on here, why not send him an email and see if you get a reply.

You’ve got more chance that way than repeatedly posting it on here.

theres lots of questions like he knows that a 5,000 seater stadium is perfect for bands to play as hes got great contacts ,so thats a market that could be used for revenue as this idea will cost big money and need to be sustainable,lets see the lib/dem survey and what things are not allowed when passed ,but then again we can chat on here as much as we want,but he also said its happening and depending of what bands i will go,but for me its scc who with highways will need to sort out traffic,it took tonight 35 mins from lowedges road to abbeylane  on a wednesday .as on many other nights as well

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

but for me its scc who with highways will need to sort out traffic,it took tonight 35 mins from lowedges road to abbeylane  on a wednesday .as on many other nights as well

What time of day was this we travel back from Northern general to lowedges after 6pm when I finish work and it takes similar amount of time, usually get caught in traffic on prince of Wales and gleadless Townend.

25 minutes ago, bassett one said:

time was 6.15pm ,but its the same on most sufc match days ,so add the new stadium ect well we defo need the super tram if this is to go ahead,

.... which of course is one of the reasons the planners will be wanting this to  go ahead - it will cause pressure from people for a resolution of the extra traffic problems this development will bring .... and the planners will then say the solution is their pet idea - Supertram!  Which, when they get it installed,  will mean less parking for cars visiting Woodseats shops, and more shops closing as a result - even if they survived the disruption caused by the inevitable major chaos of the work laying the tracks down.

• Like 1

I would have thought that the best way to get the tram route to Meadowhead would be to extend it from Gleadless. There is plenty of room for the track without disturbing too many homes or properties. There is an ideal Park and Ride area at the old Norton RAF site and the track could be extended further to serve Greenhill and Lowedges. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I would have thought that the best way to get the tram route to Meadowhead would be to extend it from Gleadless. There is plenty of room for the track without disturbing too many homes or properties. There is an ideal Park and Ride area at the old Norton RAF site and the track could be extended further to serve Greenhill and Lowedges. 

Excellent idea! 

However, I think the planners have already decided to take their original plan from years ago out of mothballs and run a line up Chesterfield Road.  I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Meltman said:

34 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Excellent idea! 

it seems obvious - but it would be rubbish.

From Meadowhead, you'd end up sitting on the tram for 20minutes, and still be no nearer the city centre.

We need to start building tram lines that directly link to the city centre - if we don't do this, people won't use them. I want to get to the city centre, there is literally *never* a time when i want to go to Manor Top.

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Excellent idea! 

However, I think the planners have already decided to take their original plan from years ago out of mothballs and run a line up Chesterfield Road.  I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell!

Where have read or heard that? Not sure I've ever seen or heard about proposals for a Chesterfield Road line.

Any tram extensions remain fairly unlikely for a long time still but if this area saw the tram brought to it, both in terms of costs and logistics the best solution would be to extend the Herdings Park line around the ring-road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

.... which of course is one of the reasons the planners will be wanting this to  go ahead - it will cause pressure from people for a resolution of the extra traffic problems this development will bring .... and the planners will then say the solution is their pet idea - Supertram!  Which, when they get it installed,  will mean less parking for cars visiting Woodseats shops, and more shops closing as a result - even if they survived the disruption caused by the inevitable major chaos of the work laying the tracks down.

I worked at SCC for a good number of years and I never heard of any plan to take the tram up Chesterfield Road. 

The last attempts for extensions were to the Hallamshire Hospital and Rotherham ( not the tram train route). There were thoughts of an extension to Waverley but thats’s all they were.  Never heard any suggestion of a route to Woodseats and Meadowhead.

The tram is the responsibility of the combined authority, not the council by the way.

As others have said any thoughts of tram extensions are well into the future. They are hideously expensive and take many years to design and plan. As far as I’m aware, the operation of the current one here has not been a commercial success and the CA had to ask the government for substantial amounts of money to refurbish the system and keep it running.

I’d suspect they might struggle to justify the investment in new lines to the government, who provide the funds. It looks possible that West Yorkshire might get the tram system they are working on. That’s forecast to be costing £2.5 billion for a couple of lines. Will the government fund something similar here at the same time?