Meadowhead New Football/Rugby Ground Plus More

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

They can apply for what they like. Doesn’t mean they will get it. If it isn’t designated for housing in the local plan, they are going to have to present an extremely compelling reason for wanting to build housing on it. I rather doubt whether needing the money for a new stadium would be regarded as a compelling reason. 

Let's hope it doesn't get it, and this scheme falls down.  There are enough traffic problems  at Meadowhead without this on top.  However, there is so much noise about it, the "coming soon.." poster even before planning permission was even applied for if I understand it correctly,  that I think somehow that someone has been told it is a foregone conclusion, and it has already been "agreed".  I just hope I'm wrong....

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Let's hope it doesn't get it, and this scheme falls down.  There are enough traffic problems  at Meadowhead without this on top. 

I don't think the traffic problems are that bad (and I drive around there twice a day)-  yes its a very busy part of the city but a bit of joined up thinking could help immeasurably.  Its crying out for some kind of Park and Ride (Tram from Herdings anyone?) which will drop the traffic throughput, better bus travel and a bit of road changes would solve a lot of the issues.

Personally I think the stadium is a great idea - another tourist location for the city, match days will help local business, potential for jobs.  what's not to like?

• Like 4

yeah when annouced on the radio sheffield fc said , this is it all done , and will go forward and work will start in 2026 as its all ready to go, dronfield site agreed for housing and rugby ready to move in. he stated oven ready and will go ahead no problem, he never mentioned anything about  the sport england being involved like people are suggesting , are they putting in big cash?, if it changed to housing that would be passed with this new goverment rules coming in.

I`m pretty sure that current ground isn`t on Green Belt; lots of housing in that area. Housing there would be very popular and likely to be a big fundraiser. There`s space for plenty of houses. Pub should be safe though as it must listed.

21 minutes ago, jemson said:

I`m pretty sure that current ground isn`t on Green Belt; lots of housing in that area. Housing there would be very popular and likely to be a big fundraiser. There`s space for plenty of houses. Pub should be safe though as it must listed.

I believe it is

Have a look on the county council’s website here

Policy Map 2, Inset A shows it in green belt.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

I believe it is

Have a look on the county council’s website here

Policy Map 2, Inset A shows it in green belt.

but new goverment rules now apply so its iffy on that one is it not? as labour could say well its surrounded by housing and whats a football ground ect a big concrete and girder  building.

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

but new goverment rules now apply so its iffy on that one is it not? as labour could say well its surrounded by housing and whats a football ground ect a big concrete and girder  building.

It’s always been possible to build on green belt, but an extremely good justification is needed.

When this proposal was first mentioned I had a look at the county council’s land use policies. They have conducted a review of their green belt and allowed for development in locations they thought were appropriate. This wasn’t one of them, so I’d think it rather unlikely that consent would be granted.  We’ll just have to see what happens.

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

It is.

well if the ground in dronfield is green belt  and you can build houses as he needs to sell that to part finance the new ground and he said every thing was sorted, that means in theory the meadowhead  ground is surrounded by housing and labours new laws that could go for housing, but sheffield fc said it was all in place and they would go ahead asap . now its all gone quiet why?