Sheffield xmas market

Resident

Here comes the moan but it needs to be said

Visited the market mid-evening (around 6-7pm) last night and what an utter disappointment is was. 

Stalls just looked hodge-podged together, a few of the using generators for power, so much for the Clean Air Zone!

The lights put up were a depressing shade of amber/white. The  SHEFFIELD sign in the Peace Gardens, half the letters were one shade of 'warm' white and other 'cool' white. Now had they been alternate then I'd have got the point but again hodge-podged

Some of the food actually smelled lovely but I didn't partake because I'm not paying £7 for 12 chips with a bit of cheese. 

Santa's Grotto just looked grotty and £9 for a poundland toy. Nah thanks. 

SCC could have used this to win back some reputation but just phoned it in as usual. 

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

Here comes the moan but it needs to be said

Visited the market mid-evening (around 6-7pm) last night and what an utter disappointment is was. 

Stalls just looked hodge-podged together, a few of the using generators for power, so much for the Clean Air Zone!

The lights put up were a depressing shade of amber/white. The  SHEFFIELD sign in the Peace Gardens, half the letters were one shade of 'warm' white and other 'cool' white. Now had they been alternate then I'd have got the point but again hodge-podged

Some of the food actually smelled lovely but I didn't partake because I'm not paying £7 for 12 chips with a bit of cheese. 

Santa's Grotto just looked grotty and £9 for a poundland toy. Nah thanks. 

SCC could have used this to win back some reputation but just phoned it in as usual. 

My bold. 

The stalls on Pinstone Street looked ok to but agree when I passed this morning & caught site of some of the prices I thought anyone with a few children won't be treating them with a burger from you to eat in the street when they can get it cheaper & sit in McDonalds. 

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

Sheffield’s Christmas lights in the ‘60s were a sight to behold. A kaleidoscope of colour from Moorfoot to Waingate.

Are you telling me that doesn’t happen nowadays.

Disappointing if that’s true.

echo.

Yes they were & all the colours that I'd associate with Xmas, gold, silver, red & green.  Now most appear to be that bright blue colour, probably trying to associate it with an icy, winter feeling. 

Do you remember the old Santa's Grotto that was down the bottom end of the town centre, roughly where the current Staples build is made up of what seemed like hundreds of trees, you had to walk through to see Santa?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Yes they were & all the colours that I'd associate with Xmas, gold, silver, red & green.  Now most appear to be that bright blue colour, probably trying to associate it with an icy, winter feeling. 

Do you remember the old Santa's Grotto that was down the bottom end of the town centre, roughly where the current Staples build is made up of what seemed like hundreds of trees, you had to walk through to see Santa?

Amey chopped all those trees down 😀

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

Sheffield’s Christmas lights in the ‘60s were a sight to behold. A kaleidoscope of colour from Moorfoot to Waingate.

Are you telling me that doesn’t happen nowadays.

Disappointing if that’s true.

echo.

I mean this is the effort they've made with the tree. All the lights were pretty much the same colour as that but a little brighter

kfiFHnn.jpg

35 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Hi Baron 99,

I do vaguely remember a Santa’s grotto with lots of Christmas trees down towards the bottom of the Moor on the right hand side looking up towards the town hall. I never visited it but saw it when travelling on the Moor.

I however did leave Sheffield in 1970 so it must have been before that.

echo.