Sheffield Measles Alert

...as cases of ‘extremely infectious’ disease taken to Sheffield Children's Hospital

Sheffield has been put on measles alert, after patients had to be taken to the city’s children’s hospital with the ‘extremely infectious’ disease.

Sheffield Children’s Hospital has confirmed that youngsters have been brought into the hospital with what doctors view as a potentially serious illness, which can lead to serious problems if it spreads to other parts of the body, such as the lungs or brain.

Problems that can be caused by measles include pneumonia, meningitis, blindness and seizures.

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/sheffield-measles-alert-cases-extremely-162102049.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cDovL20uZmFjZWJvb2suY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGuqg9O3mCE8zLP198Bd72uqfkI1H8mR2ozBJwp9-fw31D-QTasNrSAh9MrskmVljdK6zjItpMevG2DoE4UxnCOiBHJIYw4-Ur2t8UGes46jL5aSZPt6MuzKzPxvp9UQnTqkU52HE2PpTQ5NjK-K4oR6oTqVdS2KiaMWXJLxj5fo

5 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Isn't the MMR vaccine meant to prevent this sort of thing?
Or are they all anti-vaxers?

They could be kids who can’t be vaxxed. Or the kids of anti-vaxxers.

MMR vaccination rates are at about 90%, which leaves that ten percent in danger. Plus the kids who can’t be vaccinated. Plus the ones for whom the vaccine doesn’t give protection.

It’s a problem that will only get worse with all the armchair virologists dispensing their “wisdom” on social media.

• Like 2

Posted about the wife & I being offered a MMR (measles, mumps & rubella) booster jab a couple of weeks ago on the Covid thread, now we're both in our 60's. 

When I queried it with the Dr, was told that it's because measles is on the increase.  We're due for a jab end of next week then a 2nd jab about 5 to 6 weeks later. 

It is a far more serious disease than many people think.

When I was a child,  I had it and so did my friends.  It was regarded then,  as just one of those things that almost all kids get.

Only after I lost a child to it,  did I realise what an extremely dangerous disease it is.

People are now letting their guard drop a little and some of the anti-vax debate is putting some people off.

I would encourage everyone to make sure that your kids are protected.

Edited by Organgrinder

47 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It is a far more serious disease than many people think.

When I was a child,  I had it and so did my friends.  It was regarded then,  as just one of those things that almost all kids get.

Only after I lost a child to it,  did I realise what an extremely dangerous disease it is.

People are now letting their guard drop a little and some of the anti-vax debate is putting some people off.

I would encourage everyone to make sure that your kids are protected.

How little we know about the people behind the forum names. That is so very sad OG, I can't begin to imagine what that would be like.

• Like 3