Three Cheers For Lord Cameron Of Chipping Norton

Axe

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What a joke. Everything that's wrong with our political system summed up in a few minutes. It's still wedded to the 18th century. It badly needs reform, everyone says so, and has done for years, but nothing changes...

Don't be silly.  It proves our political system works well.  It gives our prime minister the option of bringing experienced  talent into the cabinet very quickly by using the House of Lords to make the new Foreign Secretary accountable to be questioned by his own peers.  We should all be proud how our political system operates.  We are the envy of the civilised World. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

What a joke. Everything that's wrong with our political system summed up in a few minutes. It's still wedded to the 18th century. It badly needs reform, everyone says so, and has done for years, but nothing changes...

Oh don't take it seriously Anna.

It's just Westy doing his usual 'idiot who can't find his way back to the village' routine

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Can't say he's my favourite but I won't be churlish so I wish him well in his endeavours 👍

Well said.  He is not my favourite because he resigned rather than trigger article 50 on 24th June 2016.  However, he has experience on the World stage and is a good choice to be Foreign Secretary.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Don't be silly.  It proves our political system works well.  It gives our prime minister the option of bringing experienced  talent into the cabinet very quickly by using the House of Lords to make the new Foreign Secretary accountable to be questioned by his own peers.  We should all be proud how our political system operates.  We are the envy of the civilised World. 

Cameron’s addition to the Cabinet was facilitated by a nationally unelected Prime Minister giving an unelected member of the public (which is what Cameron was) a Life Peerage for a position that could well end within twelve months if the Cons don’t win the next General Election.

In effect, remuneration and political influence for life, all for a short-term role to help Sunak out of a tight spot. A political system “the envy of the civilised World” would at least have been able to employ and remunerate Cameron just for the life of his role, and no longer.

If you can get a copy of the weekend’s i, I recommend reading journalist Patrick Cockburn’s opinion piece ‘Our bumbling Foreign Secretary could make Clouseau look sharp’. It’s also online (but behind a paywall) as ‘David Cameron is the perfect representative for Britain in decay’.

• Like 2