Insomnia

Noticed a few people who post in the middle of the night,  some people don't require 7/8 hours,  but they must be reasonably alert to make focused posts.

Are they happy to have less sleep or have they found taking sleeping pills/Kalms don't work?

19 minutes ago, cressida said:

Noticed a few people who post in the middle of the night,  some people don't require 7/8 hours,  but they must be reasonably alert to make focused posts.

Are they happy to have less sleep or have they found taking sleeping pills/Kalms don't work?

You won’t find any middle of the night posts from me Cressida. Never had to work a night shift!

I am a night owl but usually nod off within a few minutes of my head hitting the pillow and sleep for about 6 to 8 hours. The only time I’ve had trouble dropping off is when I’ve had something stressful on my mind.

echo.

48 minutes ago, echo beach said:

You won’t find any middle of the night posts from me Cressida. Never had to work a night shift!

I am a night owl but usually nod off within a few minutes of my head hitting the pillow and sleep for about 6 to 8 hours. The only time I’ve had trouble dropping off is when I’ve had something stressful on my mind.

echo.

I would think that's the norm,  I nod off as soon as,  but if I wake up in the night I put the radio on for a while,  it distracts me or bores me off to sleep again.

I only need 5 or 6 hours and I've been like it all my life.

When I worked for myself,  I occasionally worked through the night when I  was busy,  and worked 2 days and a night,  34 hours or more  in a shift.

Everybody varies but, the golden rule is,  don't worry about it.  My Mum & and my Grandma were poor sleepers but worried about it and made it worse.

Insomnia has affected me for years, it's something I've got used to, but it definitely has a negative affect on my life. I average around 5 hours per night.

I had prescription pills which help but they are not something I want to have to rely on. I get off to sleep no problem but wake up around 3 and struggle to get off again. I find that Benadryl work but can make me feel drowsy the following day. As OG rightly points out worrying about it makes it worse.

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Insomnia has affected me for years, it's something I've got used to, but it definitely has a negative affect on my life. I average around 5 hours per night.

I had prescription pills which help but they are not something I want to have to rely on. I get off to sleep no problem but wake up around 3 and struggle to get off again. I find that Benadryl work but can make me feel drowsy the following day. As OG rightly points out worrying about it makes it worse.

You need to retire, Al.

I was exactly the same. Straight to sleep. Woke at about 4am. Spent the next two hours worrying about not getting back to sleep. Got up and went to work.

Nowadays, I still wake at four, but I can get up when I like. Consequently, the worry has gone and I’m back to sleep in no time.

Always up by 7 though. Out of choice, not necessity.

5 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You need to retire, Al.

I was exactly the same. Straight to sleep. Woke at about 4am. Spent the next two hours worrying about not getting back to sleep. Got up and went to work.

Nowadays, I still wake at four, but I can get up when I like. Consequently, the worry has gone and I’m back to sleep in no time.

Always up by 7 though. Out of choice, not necessity.

Can't afford it mate!!