Devolution In Lincolnshire

Lucky Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire! They're getting devolution. That means they get £24 million over 30 years to spend and 2 new mayors.

Wow! That's going to make a huge difference isn't it? Just like it has for North yorkshire and South Yorkshire - Not.

What it really means is responsibility for more things will be passed on to the council, with no money to pay for it. Then the government can pass the blame onto them for not delivering....

£24 million over 30 years is peanuts. £24 million for 30 years isn't enough either. Both these I quote from different news broadcasts so even they contradict each other. Doesn't give you much confidence does it? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Lucky Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire! They're getting devolution. That means they get £24 million over 30 years to spend and 2 new mayors.

Wow! That's going to make a huge difference isn't it? Just like it has for North yorkshire and South Yorkshire - Not.

What it really means is responsibility for more things will be passed on to the council, with no money to pay for it. Then the government can pass the blame onto them for not delivering....

£24 million over 30 years is peanuts. £24 million for 30 years isn't enough either. Both these I quote from different news broadcasts so even they contradict each other. Doesn't give you much confidence does it? 

Have we got devolution in South Yorkshire?

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well, we've got a very expensive Mayor. I'd like to know what he's done, cause I've no idea where the money went.  can't say we have a lot to show for it.

I know we’ve got an expensive and  ineffectual Mayor ( Labour)but is that devolution? We’ve also got a Police and Crime Commissioner (Labour)  . Is anything different?

Edited by hackey lad

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I know we’ve got an expensive and  ineffectual Mayor ( Labour)but is that devolution? We’ve also got a Police and Crime Commissioner (Labour)  . Is anything different?

You tell me... I've lost track. What we're told and what happens are two entirely different things. Labour and Conservative on the other hand are exactly the same...

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I know we’ve got an expensive and  ineffectual Mayor ( Labour)

TBF it would be the same no matter what political party held the role. The amount of money he or she has to play with for an area as large as South Yorkshire is tiny, plus he or she cant tred on the toes of local authorities and the national government.

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

I kind of agree that these Mayors are a load of nonsense and waste of money by having a further layer of administration. They have already started falling out in Lincolnshire with areas in the sticks claiming they will not get their fair share of the money. Mayor of regions rather than a Mayor of a big city is effectively bringing in regional assembles which I do not support. I would like to see devolution reversed and Scotland lose their parliament.  Scotland would be better off if their politicians were made toe the line and be ruled entirely by the Westminister parliament.

Just now, cressida said:

Andy Burnham  (Manchester mayor) has definitely raised the profile of mayors,  they all think they're it now.

The Major of Manchester and the Mayor of London are the two most prestigious ones.  Andy Burnham is a potential leader of the Labour party after Keir Starmer is defeated at the next general election.

• Like 1