Devolution In Lincolnshire

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Definitely. You should visit Barnsley. 

Can they still emigrate to Sheddield?

13 minutes ago, Axe said:

I kind of agree that these Mayors are a load of nonsense and waste of money by having a further layer of administration. They have already started falling out in Lincolnshire with areas in the sticks claiming they will not get their fair share of the money. Mayor of regions rather than a Mayor of a big city is effectively bringing in regional assembles which I do not support. I would like to see devolution reversed and Scotland lose their parliament.  Scotland would be better off if their politicians were made toe the line and be ruled entirely by the Westminister parliament.

We are following the USA, their democracy is poor too.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

We are following the USA, their democracy is poor too.

London is the only UK city that can really follow the USA.  The Mayor of New York and the Major of London are similar in terms of prestige. 

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

£24 million over 30 years is peanuts. £24 million for 30 years isn't enough either. Both these I quote from different news broadcasts so even they contradict each other. Doesn't give you much confidence does it?

it's £24million / year.

which still isn't very much. i suspect a better deal is being dangled - dependent upon agreements being made.

(also, these devolved regions are eligible for other additional grants)

10 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it's £24million / year.

which still isn't very much. i suspect a better deal is being dangled - dependent upon agreements being made.

(also, these devolved regions are eligible for other additional grants)

Probably, but what is the government expecting in return? Do you trust them?

I suspect they will dump a load of social responsibilities on them, without the funds to pay for it.

Then they can trumpet about 'the failure of another Labour Council,' without mentioning they've starved them of the necessary cash.

What our government laughingly calls "devolution" is not devolution at all.

It's a crafty way of moving some of the governments responsibilities onto Local Authorities so that they have to do more with less,  whilst the government does less with more.