Rose Garden Cafe: Sheffield Council Spends £111,000 On Scaffolding

mart

1 hour ago, Man in Crete said:

Whilst many councillors have no grasp or experience of such matters they seem to rely upon the so called expertise of their council officers many of whom are evidentially unfit for purpose. It’s high time they were brought to task and where necessary disposed of post haste. Will that happen well no cos we’ve seen too many examples of waste and no one pays the price

meanwhile the elusive Kate Joseph’s is complaining yesterday that government is not subbing our council sufficiently.  To coin a phrase what have the romans ( aka k Joseph’s) ever done for us? Answer on a fag packet please

Absolutely! Heads should roll every time basic economics fail to be applied to simple projects. There's no excuse. It might concentrate minds enormously.

4 hours ago, geared said:

but not just that, there's probably 5 grand or so in actual scaffolding there.

They could have bought it outright, scrapped it at the end, and still saved over 100 grand.

There you go , a thinking person with a common sense approach.  Much needed in our council.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Absolutely! Heads should roll every time basic economics fail to be applied to simple projects. There's no excuse. It might concentrate minds enormously.

I doubt it would even get brought up as an item for discussion in a council meeting to be honest.

I can't think of a single industrial project I've worked on where scaffold has been required, that the customer (SCC in this case) have bought the scaffold and had it erected.

How much to buy? Nobody wants to tell us without hiring the scaffold.

How to design it? Nobody wants to without hiring the scaffold.

Who to erect it? Nobody wants to without hiring the scaffold.

How to inspect it? Nobody wants to without hiring the scaffold. 

Not saying it wouldn't be cheaper, but I would imagine there's a bit more to it than buying a load of scaffold, and then selling it afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

I can't think of a single industrial project I've worked on where scaffold has been required, that the customer (SCC in this case) have bought the scaffold and had it erected.

Not saying it wouldn't be cheaper, but I would imagine there's a bit more to it than buying a load of scaffold, and then selling it afterwards.

:rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Probably right about knocking it down, and rebuilding, but 'imaginative designs' will cost a fortune in Architects fees and double the cost of the building and IMO tend to be awful. I'd like to see an exterior similar to what there is now, I like it, but that's just me. However using renewable energy, and modern technology is a reat idea.

It doesn’t necessarily mean an expensive design A.B. We are not talking Norman Foster or Calatrava.
We should try and avoid the hideous big black box design that seems to be norm now.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Same - 25 years in construction and engineering.

can’t comment on price without seeing details though.

17 hours ago, Resident said:

Scaff company will belong to someone connected to a councillor.

Average UK cost for scaffolding is around £875 per week (2 storey, encompassing a house). The cafe isn't a 2 storey house but at that price the total for the 70 weeks it's been up is just over £61,000.

So why has is cost £50k more?

Local authorities treat the public with gross contemp.  We are the ones paying every month. 

• Like 1