Could You Live With Anyone Who Had Different Political Views From You?

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

My partner and I have more or less the same views but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if we didn't.

I don't mind people thinking differently as long as they don't try to change my mind.

My brother's affiliations were completely different from mine but they never affected our good relationship.

Same with some friends.

Yep same here. 

Though if someone was racist and bigoted, then they're likely to be quite a toxic person, and you have to draw the line somewhere. 

• Like 2

Not politics but religion. A close friend (a woman) and I watched the TV prog on Mormons. Now I've read religion(s) fairly widely and thought it would be a good idea to express each other's views (she was brought up in the Anglican/Protestant culture). I said "what do you think about the notion that some people are reluctant to engage in discussion about personal beliefs/existance of gods etc because they fear losing their faith? She then changed her composure, repeated what I said, and suddenly jumped up from her chair and with raised voiced said "I'll clog you something- something!" and scurried into the kitchen.

You can guess that's the last time I'll mention religion!

• Haha 1

How different?  Underscoring your politics are your core values and beliefs.  Can't stray too far away from those without straying into fundamental incompatibility.