Warning : E Bay Regards 'Delivered To Your Address' As You Receiving It

3 hours ago, Axe said:

You have a poor attitude to call the seller a moron.  As I suggested  next time if there is  a next time make it clear to a seller before purchase which parcel firm you want to make the delivery.  You are not willing to accept your own failures regarding this transaction.  Perhaps if there is a next time have parcels delivered to a location where someone is on look out to accept a delivery.  I suggest you take the issue up with Evri  rather than calling a seller a moron. Take them to the small claims court if you believe they have not done their job properly.  

I have been in the mail order game for nearly 20 years, I can say without any equivocation the seller is a moron.

It is possible he sent it unsigned for Evri by accident because he combined two orders into one and the weight then went over 2Kg which made RM more expensive. But that is his mistake, he should not make his customers pay for his mistakes. At a minimum, even if he has a bad enough attitude not to feel guilty about his customers misfortune, he has two bad feedbacks and two bad reviews to his name. All for 60p.....

If any of my customers ever gets bad service (almost always from the carrier(s), none are perfect), I feel personally bad about it and sort it out myself if possible. He obviously does not, so who has the best attitude ? Possibly explaining why, when we did E Bay, we had 100% positive feedback and he does not.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Hecate said:

If an Ebay seller offers multiple delivery options (Royal Mail, Evri whatever) they state as much during checkout, and you have check box options to select the one you want, usually according to delivery price and time.

If you've selected Royal Mail, or the seller has stated that they only use Royal Mail, and he sent by Evri, then surely that's something to take up with Ebay.

I've never had an Evri parcel I haven't been able to track.  Evri state on their site that all parcels are tracked.  If you didn't receive an email from the seller about the delivery, you should check the Ebay message system as they're duplicated there.  You should also have received multiple emails from Evri concerning the delivery at various stages.  Implies that someone has the wrong/a different email address.

Excellent idea, and there is no E Mail from Evri telling me I have a delivery coming, neither is there in my g mail account, and that keeps deleted items for 30 days.

>>If you've selected Royal Mail, or the seller has stated that they only use Royal Mail, and he sent by Evri, then surely that's something to take up with Ebay.<<

RM48 is given as method of carriage for "free carriage" on the sellers page. 

I agree he did not stick to his T&Cs and so I am taking it up with E Bay.

Incidentally RM do not do a 48hr service for packages over 2Kg, it has to go RM24 and the next weight break is 10KG, so it's much more expensive. This is why I think he decided to send it Evri. But he either forgot to tick the signed for option (an extra 60p...) or he was too tight to do so.

I can only say I would never send an order worth £82 unsigned for, never.

2 hours ago, Axe said:

To be fair  to Chekhov he is claiming the seller only offered the option of Royal Mail.  However eBay advertises Evri and postal labels can be bought via the eBay platform for their service. From eBay's position they consider Evri to be an acceptable delivery service otherwise they would not promote them. I judged the fact the seller chose Evri rather than Royal Mail to be irrelevant meaning the seller has carried out his responsibility to the buyer.  Clearly it is Evri who are responsible for the items going missing and not eBay or the seller.

I am not sure I agree with you about if the seller has a right top arbitrarily change which carrier he uses, but I sort of agree it is ultimately Evri's fault the parcel went missing, well the thief's really but you know what I mean.

My work colleagues, who have both been in the mail order game for 10 years or so, blame the seller more than the driver though. They take the view the driver must have thought the parcel wasn't worth much as it was sent unsigned for. I agree with them that is it more the seller's fault than the driver's because no mail order seller should send out any order unsigned for if he is not prepared to cover the cost  if it goes missing.

1 hour ago, zach said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that RM was going to use Evri and DPD. It's possible the seller did use RM and they then used Evri.

Going by the date on the quote, looks like it's started.

That's an interesting theory.

1 hour ago, zach said:

I think ALL parcel deliveries should be hand to hand or one of the many drop off boxes. None of this 'safe place' delivery (unless you request it at your possible expense). You only need to have a quick look on the net to see the terrible record Evri (Hermes) have got. Can that many people be wrong, or all at fault?

For low value items, or if the customer specifically requests it (and is prepared to carry the can if it goes wrong....) it's OK.

Other than that I agree with you.

Edited by Chekhov

16 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I have been in the mail order game for nearly 20 years, I can say without any equivocation the seller is a moron.

It is possible he sent it unsigned for Evri by accident because he combined two orders into one and the weight then went over 2Kg which made RM more expensive. But that is his mistake, he should not make his customers pay for his mistakes. At a minimum, even if has has a bad enough attitude not to feel guilty about his customers misfortune, he has two bad feedbacks and two bad reviews to his name. All for 60p.....

If any of my customers ever gets bad service (almost always from the carrier(s), none are perfect), I feel personally bad about it and sort it out myself if possible. He obviously does not, so who has the best attitude ? Possibly explaining why, when we did E Bay, we had 100% positive feedback and he does not.

Okay no worries.

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Excellent idea, and there is no E Mail from Evri telling me I have a delivery coming, neither is there in my g mail account, and that keeps deleted items for 30 days.

>>If you've selected Royal Mail, or the seller has stated that they only use Royal Mail, and he sent by Evri, then surely that's something to take up with Ebay.<<

RM48 is given as method of carriage for "free carriage" on the sellers page. 

I agree he did not stick to his T&Cs and so I am taking it up with E Bay.

Incidentally RM do not do a 48hr service for packages over 2Kg, it has to go RM24 and the next weight break is 10KG, so it's much more expensive. This is why I think he decided to send it Evri. But he either forgot to tick the signed for option (an extra 60p...) or he was too tight to do so.

I can only say I would never send an order worth £82 unsigned for, never.

Royal Mail has recently introduced a 48hr service for packages over 2kg. The next weight is 5kg.  They have had to introduce more options both domestically and internationally to compete with other parcel firms.

51 minutes ago, Axe said:

Royal Mail has recently introduced a 48hr service for packages over 2kg. The next weight is 5kg.  They have had to introduce more options both domestically and internationally to compete with other parcel firms.

When did they do that ?
Our latest price list, Apr 23, does not offer RM48 on anything over 2KG, and the next weight band is 5KG.

That said it actually goes by the average weight of all the items going using that RM service, which makes it quite complicated trying to work out how to minimise your charges !

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

When did they do that ?
Our latest price list, Apr 23, does not offer RM48 on anything over 2KG, and the next weight band is 5KG.

That said it actually goes by the average weight of all the items going using that RM service, which makes it quite complicated trying to work out how to minimise your charges !

I do not know the exact date but it has been happening for several months. It is under the medium parcel category on the Royal Mail website.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

That's an interesting theory.

That's all it is, a theory. If RM Parcels aren't being open about who is delivering, that needs looking into.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

(and is prepared to carry the can if it goes wrong....)

I did add that bit in brackets. I don't think the cost comes into it TBH. It's not a letter, often costs more and other companies seem to manage it OK. RM Parcels and DPD have both placed the delivery in my doorway then taken a photo. If I see box damage, I will take a photo of that and note it when signing. These are ideals and maybe not always needed. But throwing over a fence or on a driveway isn't acceptable. The ones that do it need stopping, or not using. They'll get the idea if people stop using them!

A few things are still very wrong with your delivery (and many others). As a delivery driver, if you can place an item over a gate easily, it can be stolen just as easily. eBay not interested, seller not interested and you are over £80 out of pocket. A way to run any business? I think not!

I get the feeling you're the same. I would not let this one go.

Edited by zach
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Axe said:

I do not know the exact date but it has been happening for several months. It is under the medium parcel category on the Royal Mail website.

That might be for a different service tariff.

I would think that seller would have been using "Click & Drop", like us, and the next weight break over 2Kg is 10Kg, worse still, anything over 2Kg has to go RM24, thus :

Under 2Kg  RM48 = £4.02 (incl fuel surcharge and VAT)

Over 2Kg  RM24 = £7.74 (incl fuel surcharge and VAT) i.e. nearly double the price.

I don't blame the seller for trying to save money on carriage, but if he was going to use Evri on an £82 order he should have required a signature. He didn't and it went missing, that's his mistake, so he should sort it out.

Edited by Chekhov

On 01/12/2023 at 11:23, Chekhov said:

They sent me an E Mail saying it'd been delivered, but I was at home, not at work.

If they'd sent me an E Mail saying it was going to be delivered [and I could change it] I would have done so, had they given me enough warning obviously.

>> If so, they'll likely argue that you should have been around for the delivery.<<

That is no excuse on the part of the carrier. They should not be leaving any order in an unsafe location. It's pure laziness on the part of the driver so he doesn't have to call back with the delivery.

Having said that, the most guilty party in this is arguably the seller, they should not be sending out orders of any significant value unsigned for, and certainly not orders worth £82 !

Whenever Evri have delivered anything to me I’ve had an email in advance so you can give instructions about  delivery if not in.  I think you might have to download their app though.  Then they always deliver to the specified safe place.  I’m pretty sure there are other options to have it  delivered on a different day or to a pick up point.  
Whenever I’ve ordered anything of much value from EBay and know I might not be in I opt for the item to be delivered to a Collection point in a shop rather than at home.

I’ve have worse experiences with DPD.  They once claimed they had been to my house and there was no answer but I was in and waiting near the door at this time!!  And their driving standards are terrible.  To be fair though, the company are probably are putting unrealistic schedules on their drivers.