Has Anyone Had Their Grit Bin Removed (Or Not Filled Any More) ?

Chekhov

8 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

Council should provide it.    After all that is what part  of council tax is for 

Why should they provide it? 

They grit the roads.....your pathway and door step is your problem

Take some personal responsibility 

Edited by Jack Grey

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

Why should they provide it? 

They grit the roads.....your pathway is your responsibility 

Who mentioned "your pathway"?

Roads and pavements aren't the responsibility of the public.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zach said:

Who mentioned "your pathway"?

Roads and pavements aren't the responsibility of the public.

Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways....not roads

For 50 weeks of the year they're used for irresponsible dog walkers to dump their dog mess and kids set fire to them

Total.waste of money.....buy a bag from B&Q and stop moaning 

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways....not roads

For 50 weeks of the year they're used for irresponsible dog walkers to dump their dog mess and kids set fire to them

Total.waste of money.....buy a bag from B&Q and stop moaning 

Agreed, people did abuse what they were for, but not everyone. I'd like to see where it says "Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways" I've not seen that stated anywhere.

Moaning and stating the obvious aren't the same. Remember, a forum is a place of opinion and discussion.

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Which meetings are these then? Or is this the usual "councillors get everything paid for and earn loads" misinformed rubbish we usually see on here?

Did I mention councillors or their pay? Or is this more assumptious rubbish we usually get on this forum!

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have heard worrying reports of some people's grit bins just being removed (by the council ?).

Is this true ? And if so, how many people have had this happen to them ?

If this is the case the I think it's disgusting because, arguably, the council should be keeping roads (well, all but the least used back roads) passable anyway. Grit bins are a way of them doing so cheaply as the public have to do all the hard work......

The council do move grit bins around if they are not getting used on current locations.

The bins do get refilled pretty quickly, you can request it on their website.

According to this report, Sheffield carries out precautionary gritting on a higher percentage of its road network than any other city in the uk and has five times more grit bins than Manchester and Nottingham combined. The report is a few years old, but I don’t think anything much has changed.

So, our council does more than any other on this issue, but it’s still not enough for some.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zach said:

Agreed, people did abuse what they were for, but not everyone. I'd like to see where it says "Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways" I've not seen that stated anywhere. 

How much road could you grit from a bin?

I thought it was obvious what it was for 

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

How much road could you grit from a bin?

I thought it was obvious what it was for 

You'd be surprised. A bit of grit/salt can start a reaction that expands far from its initial point of contact. Basic chemistry at school.

Obvious. A big word. I can get a Jaguar V12 engine in parts, it's obvious to me where it all goes...could you? I can also design and build networks for thousands of people, that could span the world. It's obvious to me...can you? On the other side of the coin, I probably couldn't do your job. Because it may not be 'obvious' to me.

A grit bin never said (to my knowledge) For use on the path only. Many times in my younger days, it would be used on paths, drives and roads.

• Haha 1