Has Anyone Had Their Grit Bin Removed (Or Not Filled Any More) ?

Chekhov

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You could simply name the meetings. But the fact you arent say it all. Enjoy your Sunday.

You always want your arse wiping! That says it all. I'll repeat for the hard of understanding. You made the assumption I was on about councillors (hint: I wasn't)

Now have a read to backup your assumption, and you'll see what I mean. It would help if you ever worked at SCC and witnessed how the big decision makers act...well, most of them. But as you're so knowledgeable on all things, you'll get there eventually.

Edited by zach

5 hours ago, zach said:

Thinking about it, I've not seen one for years.

I've not seen any grit trucks either (This year) It always amazes me how the council never do any non-main roads. You know, the roads where all those council tax payers live! The council tax payers have to get off the side/estate roads, to get to the main roads. Maybe too much forward thinking for SCC!

It is particularly unforgivable if that side road is on a hill.

In the area of Oughtibridge where we live the gritting lorry does not do the bottom 100 yards of Bedford Rd, which is a steep hill. That then means (in any significant snow) about 25 houses (most on side streets off the bottom of Bedford Rd) cannot get their cars out. How long would it take for the gritting truck (which is here anyway) to grit that short section ? A couple of minutes (so 25 houses can get their vehicles out) ?

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Why should they provide it? 

They grit the roads.....your pathway and door step is your problem

Take some personal responsibility 

Except they don't see my post above.... 

Am I guessing you don't live on a hill ? ! 

It's pretty stressful where we live, if there's any significant snow you never know if you'll be  able to get out the following morning.

Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways....not roads

For 50 weeks of the year they're used for irresponsible dog walkers to dump their dog mess and kids set fire to them

Total.waste of money.....buy a bag from B&Q and stop moaning 

>>Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways....not roads<<

You're wrong JG, and in this I do not agree with you.

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The council do move grit bins around if they are not getting used on current locations.

The bins do get refilled pretty quickly, you can request it on their website.
According to this report, Sheffield carries out precautionary gritting on a higher percentage of its road network than any other city in the uk and has five times more grit bins than Manchester and Nottingham combined. The report is a few years old, but I don’t think anything much has changed.

So, our council does more than any other on this issue, but it’s still not enough for some.

Is that partly because Sheffield is built on hills and therefore need sot do more to keep the city moving ?

How much road could you grit from a bin?

I thought it was obvious what it was for 

The grit bin at the bottom of Bedford road gets used loads, if it weren't for that 25 households could not get out whenever it snows. And even that needs residents to selflessly clear away the snow and grit 100yds of road, in the freezing cold. Something the gritter truck could do in about two minutes from the comfort of his warm dry cab.....

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Is that partly because Sheffield is built on hills and therefore need sot do more to keep the city moving ?

The grot bin at the bottom of Bedford road gets used loads, if it weren't for that 25 households could not get out whenever it snows. And even that needs residents to selflessly clear away the snow and grit 100yds of road, in the freezing cold. Something the gritter truck could do in about two minutes from the comfort of his warm dry cab.....

Yeah like I said the council should do the roads but your driveway and doorstep should be your responsibility

It's like that in most countries

Your home is your castle 

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I don't think you can actually sue a local authority for falling over in the snow. 

Ah but what if you fell as a result of the grit bin being removed by the council and there being no grit available?
Could it not be seen as them creating the situation for a fall to happen?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Ah but what if you fell as a result of the grit bin being removed by the council and there being no grit available?
Could it not be seen as them creating the situation for a fall to happen?

Do you want them to wipe your backside for you to? 

Actually dont answer that 🙄

Just now, Jack Grey said:

Do you want them to wipe your backside for you to? 

Actually dont answer that 🙄

As it's a tower block, owned by the council, and there are no driveways, just footpaths and a car parking area, I'd sort of expect a grit bin to be available for residents to grit the paths.

Not expecting anyone to do anything for me, just provide me the tools, I'll do the job 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have heard worrying reports of some people's grit bins just being removed (by the council ?).

Is this true ? And if so, how many people have had this happen to them ?

If this is the case the I think it's disgusting because, arguably, the council should be keeping roads (well, all but the least used back roads) passable anyway. Grit bins are a way of them doing so cheaply as the public have to do all the hard work......

Had one at the top of our road. Disappeared before the last snow back in March and hasn't been seen since. 

It got used because we're at the top of a hill with a crossroad junction. Residents like myself would take it upon ourselves to grit the hill approaches to the junction to make it safer for all. 

I have asked the council why it was taken and no response. 

5 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Grit bins are for doorsteps and pathways....not roads

For 50 weeks of the year they're used for irresponsible dog walkers to dump their dog mess and kids set fire to them

Total.waste of money.....buy a bag from B&Q and stop moaning 

It would be relatively easy for the council to remove these when they were no longer needed in the season.