Has Anyone Had Their Grit Bin Removed (Or Not Filled Any More) ?

Chekhov

20 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

True, but backing down all the way round to grit outside every house would take more than a few minutes. 

But still, why do that road and not do the other roads they drive past? 

It would not take more than 2 minutes to do that short section of Bedford Rd.

And why it is worth while is that it would enable all those living on roads off the bottom of Bedford Rd to get out, 25 or so houses, possible 75 people in total, for two minutes work. It wouldn't even cost them any grit (nett) as the residents would not then be using as much of the grit in the grit bin.....

It's an historic problem actually, since Bedford Rd was blocked off at the bottom many years ago

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

I don't think society will be grinding to halt if a few people can't get their car out for a few days either.

What like nurses, doctors, policemen, teachers etc ? Many of whom cannot realistically get to work any other way ?

Mind you they shut schools for 7 months during the pandemic so maybe you're right, teachers can stay off work "for a few days" without too much harm.....

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What like nurses, doctors, policemen, teachers etc ? Many of whom cannot realistically get to work any other way ?

Mind you they shut schools for 7 months during the pandemic so maybe you're right, teachers can stay off work "for a few days" without too much harm.....

I'd expect policemen and nurses etc to have the naus to get up a little earlier and walk to their local bus stop. Employers and employees should both take the ability to get to work in adverse weather in to consideration when deciding if someone is suitable for the role.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

I'd expect policemen and nurses etc to have the naus to get up a little earlier and walk to their local bus stop. Employers and employees should both take the ability to get to work in adverse weather in to consideration when deciding if someone is suitable for the role.

What happens if there are no buses, as was the situation on Saturday morning (in Sheffield)? Or very limited services, as was the situation later Saturday, and to some extent early Sunday.

Further edit (after consideration) the underlined 'comment' is pure stupidity.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

What happens if there are no buses, as was the situation on Saturday morning (in Sheffield)? Or very limited services, as was the situation later Saturday, and to some extent early Sunday.

Buses usually operate, just from main roads. If a 13 ton, 300hp bus cannot make it through the roads, a 1 ton piddly car definitely can't, so your comment is irrelevant as usual, despite your "consideration".

25 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Ring me .....I'll pick your up and drop you off 

Now there's an offer, do you keep a bottle of gin in the glove compartment? If so, you've got a deal!

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Buses usually operate, just from main roads. If a 13 ton, 300hp bus cannot make it through the roads, a 1 ton piddly car definitely can't, so your comment is irrelevant as usual, despite your "consideration".

As I said, but you ignored, there were no bus services in Sheffield until mid-morning Saturday (and  very restricted ones early Sunday). As you noted, buses weigh 13-14 tonnes unladen, more with passengers on. What happens if one loses control on unsafe/ungritted roads and causes a major accident/injuries, or, possibly deaths.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

When I was a transport worker, I often had to report for duty at 04:00 AM, when there are no buses and I live in the South West, a considerable distance from the railway. I duly walked my way in to work on those mornings, no fuss made, out of respect for my employer and because I knew if I wanted my wages, I had to put in the effort. Now, I am sure a policeman, who I assume will undergo routine medicals, will be able to walk to his nearest main road to catch the bus down to Snig Hill. I would rather that than a little old lady slips and breaks her hip on a mound of snow blocking the pavement, just so that Mr Policeman can keep his usual routine of driving to work in his car.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

When I was a transport worker, I often had to report for duty at 04:00 AM, when there are no buses and I live in the South West, a considerable distance from the railway. I duly walked my way in to work on those mornings, no fuss made, out of respect for my employer and because I knew if I wanted my wages, I had to put in the effort. Now, I am sure a policeman, who I assume will undergo routine medicals, will be able to walk to his nearest main road to catch the bus down to Snig Hill. I would rather that than a little old lady slips and breaks her hip on a mound of snow blocking the pavement, just so that Mr Policeman can keep his usual routine of driving to work in his car.

What if there are no buses to catch?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

As I said, but you ignored, there were no bus services in Sheffield until mid-morning Saturday (and  very restricted ones early Sunday). As you noted, buses weigh 13-14 tonnes unladen, more with passengers on. What happens if one loses control on unsafe/ungritted roads and causes a major accident/injuries, or, possibly deaths.

Buses are equipped with strong wheels and breaks and can withstand strong impacts. There are nearly always buses running on main roads to all corners of the city. The 95/52/120/51/52a for example was running to and from University. If a bit of snow stops you getting to work, you should question the practicalities of working so far away, especially if you want to be a policeman or ambulance medic. 

Just now, RollingJ said:

What if there are no buses to catch?

It is very rare that there are no buses at all. A service recovery plan is always applied in such circumstances.