Has Anyone Had Their Grit Bin Removed (Or Not Filled Any More) ?

Chekhov

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Buses are equipped with strong wheels and breaks and can withstand strong impacts. There are nearly always buses running on main roads to all corners of the city. The 95/52/120/51/52a for example was running to and from University. If a bit of snow stops you getting to work, you should question the practicalities of working so far away, especially if you want to be a policeman or ambulance medic. 

I don't know what planet you are on, but as stated above, there were NO buses on the road early Saturday - both Travel South Yorkshire and operators websites had this information online by around 0700.

As it was Saturday, I wouldn't have been working - if it wasn't for the fact I'm retired anyway.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know what planet you are on, but as stated above, there were NO buses on the road early Saturday - both Travel South Yorkshire and operators websites had this information online by around 0700.

As it was Saturday, I wouldn't have been working - if it wasn't for the fact I'm retired anyway.

People should just have to wait until they start running again then, or walk to work, as I did many times. Contingency plans should be considered when applying for a job. In any case, it's all academic. The pavements should never be blocked. They should be kept free for pedestrians at all times. How would you like it if you were in a wheelchair and were forced out in to the road because some wassock decided his car was more important than your safety? The bottom line is, it's not acceptable to pile mounds of snow from the road on to the pavement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

People should just have to wait until they start running again then, or walk to work, as I did many times. Contingency plans should be considered when applying for a job. In any case, it's all academic. The pavements should never be blocked. They should be kept free for pedestrians at all times. How would you like it if you were in a wheelchair and were forced out in to the road because some wassock decided his car was more important than your safety? The bottom line is, it's not acceptable to pile mounds of snow from the road on to the pavement.

You tell em baby .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

As you seem incapable of reading what you answer, and posting the same tripe time after time, I shall treat your replies with the contempt they deserve.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

You tell em baby .

'Baby' being the operative word.

48 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Buses are equipped with strong wheels and breaks and can withstand strong impacts. There are nearly always buses running on main roads to all corners of the city. The 95/52/120/51/52a for example was running to and from University. If a bit of snow stops you getting to work, you should question the practicalities of working so far away, especially if you want to be a policeman or ambulance medic. 

It is very rare that there are no buses at all. A service recovery plan is always applied in such circumstances.

I have to smile at some of your posts...sometimes. I  don't know if you know but buses are equipped with the same type of wheels and brakes as 44 tonne lorries, but if the road surface is covered in snow or ice the vehicle can become immobile or even dangerous especially on hills similar to what we have around Sheffield.  I  think you will find that there are people on here who have walked to work many more times than you, a lot further distance,  in worse weather, done a hard day's work and then walked back home ,but don't need to make an issue out of it.  When buses get stopped due to weather it's no use posting "buses were running to the University " that's completely useless for people who don't need to use that route. It is rare that there are no buses running at all, but if they are not running where someone needs them...they are not running. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Meltman said:

it's no use posting "buses were running to the University " that's completely useless for people who don't need to use that route. It is rare that there are no buses running at all, but if they are not running where someone needs them...they are not running.

As a stump. Not just the university, they often run through the main roads, where the gritter wagons have been but stump it there. For example, 51 usually stumps at Gleadless Townend in bad weather, and the good people of Charnock can still obtain the service by a short walk to Townend main strip. 

16 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

As a stump. Not just the university, they often run through the main roads, where the gritter wagons have been but stump it there. For example, 51 usually stumps at Gleadless Townend in bad weather, and the good people of Charnock can still obtain the service by a short walk to Townend main strip. 

It all depends upon the weather and severity which can vary over the area covered by buses in Sheffield. Whilst buses may be able to get to Gleadless Town End providing the gritters have done a job, they may not for example be able to get to Stannington because the gritters haven't either. In that case  for the good people of the Stannington area....there are no buses. 

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

It all depends upon the weather and severity which can vary over the area covered by buses in Sheffield. Whilst buses may be able to get to Gleadless Town End providing the gritters have done a job, they may not for example be able to get to Stannington because the gritters haven't either. In that case  for the good people of the Stannington area....there are no buses. 

81 and 82 usually stumps at Malin Bridge in snowy weather. 

• Like 1