Mum Sues Building Firm When Her 10 Yr Old Son Enters A Site And Gets Killed

10 hours ago, Baron99 said:

If you read the piece, "In April contractor RJ McLeod admitted breaching health and safety laws and was fined £800,000." 

Their lawyers will have instructed them to admit it based on whatever evidence they've seen.  Therefore it basically became an open & shut case. 

Exactly the same a few years ago with the even younger lad in Barnsley.

10 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

Slowly heading towards the American idea of suing anyone for anything.

Great idea :loopy: perhaps we could also have Looting, shootings, smoking cannabis and riots 🥴 God Bless America 🏳️.

8 hours ago, hackey lad said:
3 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

As soon as some pleb on drugs without a license or insurance crashes a car and kill’s themselves they are immediately elevated to top lad and legend then at the funeral all their mates rum amok on quad bikes etc speeding through red lights to show their respect.

:thumbsup:

It’s like those you hear about who are basically responsible for their own death but then someone starts a go fund me page . 
“Top lad  “   “ liked a laugh “  “ loved his cars “ 

The 'go-fund-me'  worked well for the Top lad in our village (fully insured responsible motorcyclist) who died because an ambulance

decided to turn in front of him.

Rest in peace  S.

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

I certainly recall some of my -11 childhood where we would explore stuff, that is how we learnt, I did some daft stuff, but survived.

We had some sort of wood wholesaler that was local, my memory is not too clear.

Played on the roof of Landsdown Maisonettes when they were being built probably where I got my head for heights 😄

"It's a different world up there Mary Poppins".

Keep safe out there..

Rocker 🧐

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Great idea :loopy: perhaps we could also have Looting, shootings, smoking cannabis and riots 🥴 God Bless America 🏳️.

My post wasn't me waving a flag for America, the total opposite in fact, I think America is a toilet for exactly the reasons you mention, the 2nd amendment is the stupidest thing ever, apart from the people who think that it's still relevant 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

The firms likely liable. 

I don't remember all the building sites having impenetrable fences round them when I was growing up in the 1970s.

Why not ?

That's because back then people were expected to take responsibility for their own actions.....

That's the bottom line for me.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

If you read the piece, "In April contractor RJ McLeod admitted breaching health and safety laws and was fined £800,000." 

Their lawyers will have instructed them to admit it based on whatever evidence they've seen.  Therefore it basically became an open & shut case. 

It is only an "open and shut case" because we live in a crazy world, and a world that is becoming more and more crazy every year.

See my post above.

52 minutes ago, geared said:

Poorly secured site, large, deep holes left open. 

Site manager is lucky they weren't up in court as well, clearly not doing their job.

I don't agree.

If the lad was on the moors and fell down a crevice or off a cliff, whose fault would that be ?

Why is it any different ?

See my answer above.....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Exactly the same a few years ago with the even younger lad in Barnsley.

Keep safe out there..

Rocker 🧐

You beat me to it.

The building site where the young lad was killed in Barnsley is just around the corner from my daughter's house.  There are new houses there now and every time I drive past it sends shivers down my spine.  I couldn't live in one of those houses.

44 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Played on the roof of Landsdown Maisonettes when they were being built probably where I got my head for heights 😄

Exactly.

I did loads of stuff as a kid in the 70s which people now would say I should not have been allowed or able to do.

I'm still here, and all the wiser and more confident and more adventurous for having done those things.

I hate the modern world, it's ****, I really wish I was bringing my lad up in the 70s.

3 minutes ago, francypants said:

You beat me to it.

The building site where the young lad was killed in Barnsley is just around the corner from my daughter's house.  There are new houses there now and every time I drive past it sends shivers down my spine.  I couldn't live in one of those houses.

There weren't high security fences round building sites (certainly not round those for houses because I remember playing in them) when I was growing up in the 70s.

Why not ?

Edited by Chekhov

32 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

My post wasn't me waving a flag for America, the total opposite in fact, I think America is a toilet for exactly the reasons you mention, the 2nd amendment is the stupidest thing ever, apart from the people who think that it's still relevant 😉

Hello Pyro, never for a moment thought it was, my whole post was tongue -in-cheek.

Couldn't find a Stars and Stripes flag, but thought the white flag of surrender was an appropriate emoji 😄

9 minutes ago, francypants said:

You beat me to it.

The building site where the young lad was killed in Barnsley is just around the corner from my daughter's house.  There are new houses there now and every time I drive past it sends shivers down my spine. 

Know what you mean, drove past the other week .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

The firms likely liable. 

The mums definitely responsible to some degree at least anyway. 

Yup, we seem to have become quite a litigious nation. 

Remember this one?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thomas-buckett-teenage-burglars-family-5515886

Didn't work out well, I'm pleased to say.

Edited by FoxLady

15 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have to say this makes me mad :

Shea Ryan: Mother to sue firm over boy's manhole death

A mother is suing a building firm over its failure to implement safety measures which led to the death of her 10-year-old son in Glasgow.

Shea Ryan entered a construction site in Drumchapel with his friends through an insecure fence in July 2020.

He told them he wanted to climb down a manhole but slipped on a ladder and fell about 6.3 metres (20ft).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-67606568

The death of a child is a genuine tragedy, I could not think of anything worse, but.....

If her son was insufficiently mature and responsible to look after himself why was he out on his own ?

Take some responsibility, there's a reason why kids of 10 are not deemed responsible.

If he'd have got killed crossing road who would she sue then ?

If, when he's  a bit older, he had been out driving and killed himself, and or his mate(s), a much more likely scenario, who would she have blamed for that ?

No, if anyone is to blame I think she should be looking in the mirror.

But that's if anyone is actually to blame, why, in this pathetic modern world of ours is somebody always to blame ?

Whatever happened to bad luck, or personal responsibility, or it was just an accident ?

It's stuff like this that is why we are all being restricted from more and more, and I am sick of it.

It's this kind of cotton wool cobblers "it's always someone else fault, we need to be kept safe" that leads to stuff like ludicrous regulations requiring temporary traffic lights when the road repair takes up less room than a legally parked car.

**** happens.

I thought an interesting debate was being raised here, and then I got to the last line and my jaw hit the floor. Incredible that you would use the death of a child to basically carry-on whingeing about temporary traffic lights.

And then have the audacity to claim "**** happens" in the face of fatal accidents, when you get yourself so wound up about having to wait a few minutes at a red light.

• Like 1