Immigration Numbers?

25 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not sure if it was sorted before someone tried to make headlines of it .When the boss found out he wasn’t happy and a few executives were sacked.

Sports Direct warehouse sounds dreadful.

Serious Health and Safety breaches, “extremely disturbing working practices”, staff being paid below minimum wage, and findings showing that 76 ambulances were called to the warehouse in two years. There were further allegations of workers being promised permanent contracts in exchange for sexual favours. Union officials also told MPs that in one case an employee had given birth in a toilet at the company’s warehouse base in because she feared losing her job if she called in sick.

It is believed Transline “deliberately misled the committee in their evidence”, which could be considered contempt of Parliament.

Sports Direct treats workers "as commodities rather than human beings" - SHP - Health and Safety News, Legislation, PPE, CPD and Resources (shponline.co.uk)

Charles Dickens would've recognised the place.

Having said that I'm not surprised. Years ago I went into their High Street branch to buy some swimming shorts for my holidays, and after having paid for them at the till, the security guard by the door wanted to look in my bag as if I'd nicked them!!! If I was going to go robbing, it certainly wouldn't be at Sports Direct.

If they treat customers like that, just imagine how they treat their poor workforce?

Edited by Mister M

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Serious Health and Safety breaches, “extremely disturbing working practices”, staff being paid below minimum wage, and findings showing that 76 ambulances were called to the warehouse in two years. There were further allegations of workers being promised permanent contracts in exchange for sexual favours. Union officials also told MPs that in one case an employee had given birth in a toilet at the company’s warehouse base in because she feared losing her job if she called in sick.

It is believed Transline “deliberately misled the committee in their evidence”, which could be considered contempt of Parliament.

Sports Direct treats workers "as commodities rather than human beings" - SHP - Health and Safety News, Legislation, PPE, CPD and Resources (shponline.co.uk)

Having said that I'm not surprised. Years ago I went into their High Street branch to buy some swimming shorts for my holidays, and after having paid for them at the till, the security guard by the door wanted to look in my bag as if I'd nicked them!!! If I was going to go robbing, it certainly wouldn't be at Sports Direct.

If they treat customers like that, just imagine how they treat their poor workforce?

Load of cobblers. Son and his girlfriend have worked there for over 10 years . No problems at all.

7 hours ago, Mister M said:

I think they used to check everyone’s bags at one point when they were on High Street.  At one point the assistants were even radioing the guard after a customer had paid to let them know the customer had paid and giving a description!!!

That said, there’s obviously a big problem with shoplifting in that part of town.  The trouble is that the store security are sometimes scaring off paying customers as well as the thieves.  I’m frankly sick of it and there’s a certain store I now avoid as far as possible because of this.  

8 hours ago, Mister M said:

If they treat customers like that, just imagine how they treat their poor workforce

I don't believe that at all. Just scaremongering bull. That baby in a toilet is story is laughable.

If folk don't like working there and it's that bad, they would just leave. 

Unions just embellishing situations as per usual.

Sports direct along with Amazon should be congratulated for employing thousands of people.

2 hours ago, pfifes said:

I think they used to check everyone’s bags at one point when they were on High Street.  At one point the assistants were even radioing the guard after a customer had paid to let them know the customer had paid and giving a description!!!

That said, there’s obviously a big problem with shoplifting in that part of town.  The trouble is that the store security are sometimes scaring off paying customers as well as the thieves.  I’m frankly sick of it and there’s a certain store I now avoid as far as possible because of this.  

Don't tell user longcol!

He reckons "Shoplifting reports to the police equate to as near as damn it one event per retail outlet per year."  :rolleyes:

(He'll probably just claim you're lying....)

15 hours ago, El Cid said:

A commitment to cut net migration to less than 100,000 a year, is that a good target, even if we dont quite acheive it?

The Conservative are now setting an immigration target of 445,000 by reducing our present level, 745,000 by 300,000

Home Secretary James Cleverly says the rules - if applied last year - would have reduced migration by 300,000

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2023/12/04/uk-unveils-plans-to-cut-migration-by-300000-in-biggest-ever-reduction/

Give us your target!

This has probably already been mentioned, but there are reasons why the current immigration levels are so high.

1 - Ukraine (and I agree with letting them in, in fact any sort of support we give them)

2 - Hong Kong (I also agree with letting them in after China has reneged on its promises to people who were our responsibility)

Question how can letting thousands of hard working Hong Kongers in fail to make us all richer ?

29 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This has probably already been mentioned, but there are reasons why the current immigration levels are so high.

1 - Ukraine (and I agree with letting them in, in fact any sort of support we give them)

2 - Hong Kong (I also agree with letting them in after China has reneged on its promises to people who were our responsibility)

Question how can letting thousands of hard working Hong Kongers in fail to make us all richer ?

Ukraine and Hong Kong make up about three hundred thousand of the numbers.  That leaves about three hundred and fifty thousand others.  

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't believe that at all. Just scaremongering bull. That baby in a toilet is story is laughable.

If folk don't like working there and it's that bad, they would just leave. 

Unions just embellishing situations as per usual.

Sports direct along with Amazon should be congratulated for employing thousands of people.

Yes, the next time when I hear something I don't like the sound of I'm going to stick my fingers in my years and go "la la la la la" :rolleyes: