Immigration Numbers?

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I was under the impression they got millions of £ from our government to do just that.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9681/

The UK–France Joint Leaders’ Declaration issued in March 2023 states that France prevented 1,381 small boat crossings, carrying 33,788 people, in 2022. This equates to 42.4% of attempts to cross and 55% of small boats being intercepted by the French authorities in 2022.

The UK Government has said that “at least” 59 Organised Crime Groups connected to Channel crossings have been dismantled, and over 500 arrests made, since the foundation of the UK–French Joint Intelligence Cell in July 2020.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Because it is a huge coastline, which is impossible to police completely.

Go and look for yourself. There’s a train every 30 minutes.

So why was France given all that money?

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

So why was France given all that money?

What does that have to do with my post?

Go and see what they’ve done with the money. You like to do your own research, don’t you?

You’re being played by your Facebook masters again.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Underlined 

Which Is why I mentioned all the assets the French authorities no doubt have access to should they wish to make a determined effort to stop the illegal migrants and people smugglers.

Italics

Yes, they very probably are. 

That's why the use of drones and helicopters equipped with thermal imaging technology along with Navy and coastguard vessels equipped with the same would prove so useful. 

Do we know if thermal image cameras are available in France?

Given our government have been avoiding the measures that will really discourage people from crossing in boats for political reasons (the relatively small numbers of people crossing in boats distracts voters from the much larger number who arrive via other means the government are happy to let in), how much effort do you think the French should put in to stopping the people smuggling before saying 'We're not doing any more until you start processing them in a timely manner/negotiate a returns agreement/etc.'?

1 minute ago, altus said:

Given our government have been avoiding the measures that will really discourage people from crossing in boats for political reasons (the relatively small numbers of people crossing in boats distracts voters from the much larger number who arrive via other means the government are happy to let in), how much effort do you think the French should put in to stopping the people smuggling before saying 'We're not doing any more until you start processing them in a timely manner/negotiate a returns agreement/etc.'?

Maybe if the French prevented them from crossing their borders into France in the first place the problem might not be so bad for us And them?

My bold.

I can't disagree with any of that 👍

Just now, Prettytom said:

Snipped 

That was embarrassing so I snipped the lot.

You're welcome 👍

Perhaps UK authorities should be re-deploying staff towards Kent.

On our return to France last week from Portsmouth we had our car searched by UK Customs staff for us taking people across to France - as if smuggling people by the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry happens more than once in a blue moon. Must have been half a dozen staff on duty. Suppose they have a quota of cars to search for what good it does.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Not aware of any law that says it's illegal to leave France (unless of course you are wanted by the French Authorities).

Maybe wrong ( have been before) but I thought French maritime law had a limit on the distance small boats could leave the shoreline. 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Maybe if the French prevented them from crossing their borders into France in the first place the problem might not be so bad for us And them?

My bold.

I can't disagree with any of that 👍

That was embarrassing so I snipped the lot.

You're welcome 👍

It was :thumbsup: