Emergency Services. What Would You Do?

Just back from dropping the little one off at the gym and on the journey home an ambulance with lights flashing needed to get by but the traffic lights were red and the car at the front wouldn't budge until the lights turned green.

A few people were blasting their horns, one fella shouted at the driver questioning both his sexuality and parentage but nope, wouldn't move.

Personally I agree with the driver at the front and if memory serves the highway code says you shouldn't move in that situation. 

What would you do?

Edited by The_DADDY

Just now, The_DADDY said:

Just back from dropping the little one off at the gym and on the journey home an ambulance with lights flashing needed to get by but the traffic lights were red and the car at the front wouldn't budge until the lights turned green.

A few people were blasting their horns, one fella shouted at the driver questioning both his sexuality and parentage but nope, wouldn't move.

Personally I agree with the driver at the front and if memory serves the highway code says you should move in that situation. 

What would you do?

Perhaps the driver at the front was not looking in his or her mirrors and was deaf and did not know there was an ambulance behind with flashing lights. 

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Personally I agree with the driver at the front and if memory serves the highway code says you shouldn't move in that situation. 

What would you do?

I would not go through the red light.

My partner had to go on a driving awareness course a few years back for being caught by a red light camera, and a guy on the course had been in the same situation you described, gone through the red light to let the ambulance through and got ticketed, he appealed it, it was rejected and he had to attend the course.

• Like 1

I would move and have done so in the past.

Also driven up pavements or whatever.

Some people seem to freeze and panic when emergency vehicles need to make progress.

Sounds ridiculous to get a ticket in the circumstances 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

You should not go through the red.

Ambulance crews do not want you to and my understanding is they should turn sirens off in that situation .

Yes, they did just that. I heard the siren but as soon as it got to the stationary traffic the siren stopped.

20 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

I would not go through the red light.

My partner had to go on a driving awareness course a few years back for being caught by a red light camera, and a guy on the course had been in the same situation you described, gone through the red light to let the ambulance through and got ticketed, he appealed it, it was rejected and he had to attend the course.

Seems crazy that an appeal would be rejected if there was no real issue caused by the guy going through the red.

He might have saved someone's life by his actions.

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yes, they did just that. I heard the siren but as soon as it got to the stationary traffic the siren stopped.

Seems crazy that an appeal would be rejected if there was no real issue caused by the guy going through the red.

He might have saved someone's life by his actions.

It is crazy.

I would definitely move and argue my case later, if that became necessary.

• Like 1