Emergency Services. What Would You Do?

Give some drivers an inch and they take a mile, what is an emergency by the way? The powers that be won’t be in any hurry to allow idiot drivers Rambo status, I therefore apologise to genuine cases where I have been the offending driver obeying the rules, bending them slightly is another matter.

Edited by crookesey

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'll just add, it seems daft that the advice is not to use bus lanes.

Is that because the emergency vehicle will likely use them? 

No one else does.

Daddy for PM. Open those empty bus lanes.

Lets get the traffic moving 🚗  🚚 🏍️.

Can I be minister for Transport 🧐

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

No one else does.

Daddy for PM. Open those empty bus lanes.

Lets get the traffic moving 🚗  🚚 🏍️.

Can I be minister for Transport 🧐

Empty bus lanes do my head in.

Driving down meadowhead yesterday and then past the Abbey pub, then to the KFC, traffic was horrendous as it's just one lane, the left lane is completely empty because it's for buses and taxis. Just idiots making these rules.

Road space, just let people use it !!!!

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

It’s obviously a traffic offence to drive through a red light but I would move slowly forward and to the side tooting my horn to warn drivers on the other road, if that was needed. I wouldn’t proceed across the junction however and put other road users in danger until the lights changed and it was safe to do so.

If I was subsequently prosecuted I would go to court and defend myself on the grounds of it was a reasonable action in the circumstances.

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 2

I watched the Black Belt Barrister on YT some time ago on this subject as I remember his advice was don’t go through the light you will most likely be prosecuted and the appeal on grounds of it was an emergency ambulance etc meant nothing to them and he did indeed get done for it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spilldig said:

I was told on an advanced driving course that you don't put your vehicle in an illegal position for anyone and that emergency vehicles should turn sirens off until traffic can legally move.

As you rightly point out. 

The RAC also make it clear. 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/fined-for-moving-out-of-the-way-of-an-ambulance/

You don't go through red lights to move out of the way for ANY emergency vehicle, mount pavements & put yourself or anyone else in dander as you would be breaking the law. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I'll just add, it seems daft that the advice is not to use bus lanes.

Is that because the emergency vehicle will likely use them? 

I remember reading about a driver who pulled into a bus lane to let an ambulance with flashing lights on go past and they got a ticket, I think it was in London.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I remember reading about a driver who pulled into a bus lane to let an ambulance with flashing lights on go past and they got a ticket, I think it was in London.

Was it the one who was fined 130 quid?

If so, that fine was overturned after a public backlash 👍

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

Do  not jump a red light to "help" an emergency vehicle. They either go round or wait for the lights to change and they don't expect you to jump the lights. You don't have an exemption to do so and if you're prosecuted it wouldn't be accepted as a defence. 

Please know what the highway code says and watch the Blue Light Aware video that's already been posted.