Old Age Pensioner

6 hours ago, spilldig said:

They would have done cressida but if you remember Ted Heath would only sign up to join the EU if we abstained from the Social Chapter,  thereby ensuring that working people along with OAPs  got the worst working conditions and pensions in the EU.  When labour came into power they never reversed that decision.

IIRC The Social Chapter of the EU was created in the 1990s. John Major opted the UK out from the social chapter when he signed the Maastricht Treaty in 1993. However when Blair came in 1997 he signed us in to it.

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

IIRC The Social Chapter of the EU was created in the 1990s. John Major opted the UK out from the social chapter when he signed the Maastricht Treaty. However when Blair came in 1997 he signed us in to it.

And now it doesn't apply.

7 hours ago, spilldig said:

They would have done cressida but if you remember Ted Heath would only sign up to join the EU if we abstained from the Social Chapter,  thereby ensuring that working people along with OAPs  got the worst working conditions and pensions in the EU.  When labour came into power they never reversed that decision.

That's not correct. See Here:

https://www.civitas.org.uk/eu-facts/eu-overview/social-europe/

'The slow integration of Britain into EU social policy accelerated under Prime Minister Tony Blair: Britain signed up to the Social Chapter in 1997 and the Charter of Fundamental Rights in 2000.'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dan_999uk said:

I understand the Government are rushing through legislation to examine the bank accounts of benefit claimants, including state pension recepients. 

I wonder why. 

Another Goverment time waster,  reason is!   They know nobody has nowt in their  bank accounts whilst they are in power. :hihi:

8 hours ago, dan_999uk said:

I understand the Government are rushing through legislation to examine the bank accounts of benefit claimants, including state pension recepients. 

I wonder why. 

Wouldn't it be nice if they put the same time and  effort into recovering tax lost to evasion by the rich. 

Was anybody actually prosecuted after the Panama papers or multiple other scams and scandals?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Tell me what freebies a pensioner gets.  Forget the Buss Pass for starters because its not free.

Just gimmicks PRESLEY like the Christmas bonus. It most certainly is not free that's why I put it in inverted commas and I have said before "So called free".  Taxpayers pay for it via central government. 

13 hours ago, BigPP said:

That's not correct. See Here:

https://www.civitas.org.uk/eu-facts/eu-overview/social-europe/

'The slow integration of Britain into EU social policy accelerated under Prime Minister Tony Blair: Britain signed up to the Social Chapter in 1997 and the Charter of Fundamental Rights in 2000.'

Glad to hear it Big.  Anything that makes me see Blair in a better light is very welcome.