Time For The Uk To Withdraw From The Echr

i quite like the idea that there is an internationally agreed framework, going someway to protect me from the worst excesses of my own government, which is clearly acting with increasingly oppressive intent.

but, we can have conversations about things, what are we proposing to replace our current human rights?

24 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i quite like the idea that there is an internationally agreed framework, going someway to protect me from the worst excesses of my own government, which is clearly acting with increasingly oppressive intent.

but, we can have conversations about things, what are we proposing to replace our current human rights?

We are a civilised democratic country and do not need international agreements to protect our own people's rights.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Axe said:

We are a civilised democratic country and do not need international agreements to protect our own people's rights.

There have been hundreds of judgments concerning the rights of UK citizens upheld by the court... highlighting that your claim above is logically flawed, fact free, nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Axe said:

If they are not needed,  why are they being used ?

Of course they are needed because politicians in general cannot be trusted and politicians, in particular who are Tories,  definitely cannot be trusted.

Why should Judges who sit in a court in Strasbourg decide whether an asylum seeker/immigrant who has committed burglary, rape or murder be allowed to stay in this country once they have served there prison sentence?

It should be decided by the final court of appeal in the UK, not in a foreign country.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Why should Judges who sit in a court in Strasbourg decide whether an asylum seeker/immigrant who has committed burglary, rape or murder be allowed to stay in this country once they have served there prison sentence?

It should be decided by the final court of appeal in the UK, not in a foreign country.

It was decided by UK judges in the UK.

8 hours ago, Axe said:

There are 149 countries that are not members of the ECHR.  Are all those 149 corrupt and awful?

It doesn't make a deal of difference as we have plenty of corruption already.    One reason why we need our human rights.

Edited by Organgrinder

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

It does....

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

It doesn't make a deal of difference as we have plenty of corruption already.    One reason why we need our human rights.

Stop Drama Queening.  When we withdraw from the ECHR it will be replaced by an UK Court of Human Rights.  Are you worried about losing your human right to contribute nonsense on a discussion forum?