Referee Standards

Man in Crete

Just an honest opinion

whilst they have a difficult job and much is down to opinion having watched football for over 70 years it seems clear to me that the standard of officiating has never been so low

both Sheffield teams have suffered with horrendous decision making this season and last night Simon hooper was probably the worst of the lot aided and abetted by the var team. How on earth the tackle on bogle in the lead up to the second goal was not a foul is beyond understanding. After his horror show against Man City then he carried on the momentum. Inconsistent all night and sadly I am coming to the conclusion the premier league is not what it should be and officials are bent ……or are they all so poor. 
that said United were much improved and showed more “passion” than was evident for weeks … oh for a modern Keith Hackett 

3 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

Just an honest opinion

whilst they have a difficult job and much is down to opinion having watched football for over 70 years it seems clear to me that the standard of officiating has never been so low

both Sheffield teams have suffered with horrendous decision making this season and last night Simon hooper was probably the worst of the lot aided and abetted by the var team. How on earth the tackle on bogle in the lead up to the second goal was not a foul is beyond understanding. After his horror show against Man City then he carried on the momentum. Inconsistent all night and sadly I am coming to the conclusion the premier league is not what it should be and officials are bent ……or are they all so poor. 
that said United were much improved and showed more “passion” than was evident for weeks … oh for a modern Keith Hackett 

Refereeing is shocking but also they don’t explain themselves,the Man City decision made no sense to anyone.

49 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Refereeing is shocking but also they don’t explain themselves,the Man City decision made no sense to anyone.

It did to me.  Yes, the ref made a mistake, but as I see it probably not the one most people thought he'd made.  The challenge on Haaland merited a foul, but the ref saw an advantage and waved play on.  The game can be called back and the foul awarded if no advantage accrues to the attacking team.  I think he watched play develop, thought Grealish was offside, and blew for the original foul.  Had Grealish actually been offside, that was the right thing to do.

What I can't understand is why no action has been taken against Haaland with his reaction to that decision.  We have all seen his words censored, and I assumed he'd have to face a disrepute charge.  As he's not facing one, we can all look forward to many more major foul-mouthed strops from players in future games.

V.A.R has made all refereeing decisions questionable, the days of the referee/lines person being the final decision makers  are well and truly over. The only way that the referee can be exempt from criticism is to hand over all decisions making to the technology guys, which would add on a lot of time to the game.

53 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

It did to me.  Yes, the ref made a mistake, but as I see it probably not the one most people thought he'd made.  The challenge on Haaland merited a foul, but the ref saw an advantage and waved play on.  The game can be called back and the foul awarded if no advantage accrues to the attacking team.  I think he watched play develop, thought Grealish was offside, and blew for the original foul.  Had Grealish actually been offside, that was the right thing to do.

What I can't understand is why no action has been taken against Haaland with his reaction to that decision.  We have all seen his words censored, and I assumed he'd have to face a disrepute charge.  As he's not facing one, we can all look forward to many more major foul-mouthed strops from players in future games.

But he wasn’t offside and he took the advantage away,he should have let play go on and if scored var would have disallowed if offside.

Edited by ukdobby

2 hours ago, Man in Crete said:

Just an honest opinion

To be fair, I thought that United got away with quite a bit last night. He could easily have dished out several more yellows. Let’s just say that the Blades were quite “robust” in the tackle.

That tackle on Bogle is a foul every day of the week, though. I’ve no idea how the ref and VAR both looked at it and thought otherwise.

1 hour ago, Man in Crete said:

Just an honest opinion

The tackle on Bogle happened directly in front of where I was sat. It was an obvious foul and Bogle was fortunate not to get hurt more than he did.

I wasn't in a good position to give an opinion on the one leading to their first goal but it begs the question as to why that one was checked on VAR and the Bogle one wasn't?

There's a definite bias toward the top teams in Premier refereeing decision making. It isn't a conspiracy against us in particular it applies to all Big v standard clubs.

Discussing it last night at the match someone made the point that the Premier League attracts the top players in the world, why not the top referees as well? At least that way it would eliminate personal favouritism shown toward a particular team.

As for VAR the referee on the pitch should be the final decision maker. If the VAR operators spot what they believe to be an infringement they should draw the refs attention to it and then STFU.

The ref then takes a look and He makes the decision without any further input from  Stockley Park.  If further input as to the quality of his decision is required we'll give it to him, that's one of the things we buy our tickets for.

To say refereeing standards are low is one thing, to say the refs are bent is just rubbish. 
You’ve  all zoomed in on one moment of the game to try and justify a performance that was poor. If we want to eradicate cheating in the penalty area, try starting with the players, not the refs. Might even make the refs jobs easier. Constantly having to decide if they’re having the wool pulled over their eyes or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ronson said:

To say refereeing standards are low is one thing, to say the refs are bent is just rubbish. 
You’ve  all zoomed in on one moment of the game to try and justify a performance that was poor. If we want to eradicate cheating in the penalty area, try starting with the players, not the refs. Might even make the refs jobs easier. Constantly having to decide if they’re having the wool pulled over their eyes or not.

How do you know the performance was poor?.

Whether you like it or not the Premier League wants to keep the top clubs at the top, the introduction of VAR, extra subs and more added time are aimed towards achieving this so the so called smaller clubs will be at a disadvantage, it's one of the reasons why I don't like it and am of the opinion it's ruining the game.

I think I was accused of being jealous when I raised this and other points about it on here and elswhere.