Northern General Parking

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Rule 145

You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway

Indeed, but good luck trying to get a police officer to enforce that. It tends to only happen if the officer sees someone actually drive in the footway.

From this item

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 is used in the current Highway Code. Rule 145 states:

"You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency."

Since January 1999 a fixed penalty notice can be issued with the offender given a ticket with fine and points attached unless they appeal in which case it goes to court.

This regulation tends not to be used, especially if a police officer doesn’t see the driver actually driving on to the pavement. A police officer may have "reasonable grounds" to believe the motorist drove on the pavement - it would be up to the courts to decide whether a driver was telling the truth should he claim his car was placed on the pavement with the use of a crane.

However, unlike for a speeding offence a police officer has no power, in relation to driving on the pavement, to insist that the keeper of a vehicle tells of who was driving at any particular time. For this and other reasons the police generally don't enforce this particular law and tend to refer complainants to local authority parking enforcement officers, who have few mechanisms in which to tackle the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Indeed, but good luck trying to get a police officer to enforce that. It tends to only happen if the officer sees someone actually drive in the footway.

From this item

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 is used in the current Highway Code. Rule 145 states:

"You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency."

Since January 1999 a fixed penalty notice can be issued with the offender given a ticket with fine and points attached unless they appeal in which case it goes to court.

This regulation tends not to be used, especially if a police officer doesn’t see the driver actually driving on to the pavement. A police officer may have "reasonable grounds" to believe the motorist drove on the pavement - it would be up to the courts to decide whether a driver was telling the truth should he claim his car was placed on the pavement with the use of a crane.

However, unlike for a speeding offence a police officer has no power, in relation to driving on the pavement, to insist that the keeper of a vehicle tells of who was driving at any particular time. For this and other reasons the police generally don't enforce this particular law and tend to refer complainants to local authority parking enforcement officers, who have few mechanisms in which to tackle the problem.

As closed circuit television becomes more widely used, it will be easier for policemen to ascertain that the car did indeed drive on the pavement.

As a long suffering Rheumatoid Arthritis patient I was given an appointment at the NGH for, and I quote, ‘a chat’. I phoned them and said that a trip from S17 to the NGH, tackling the horrendous parking facilities and suffering the possibility of a long wait for something that could be conducted by telephone was not for me, the person that I spoke to told me to catch the bus, I replied that as a RA sufferer I could not risk such a long journey on public transport, only to be told that ‘that’s that then’

I have now been denied NHS treatment, other than at the NGH, so I suppose that’s actually that then.

7 minutes ago, crookesey said:

As a long suffering Rheumatoid Arthritis patient I was given an appointment at the NGH for, and I quote, ‘a chat’. I phoned them and said that a trip from S17 to the NGH, tackling the horrendous parking facilities and suffering the possibility of a long wait for something that could be conducted by telephone was not for me, the person that I spoke to told me to catch the bus, I replied that as a RA sufferer I could not risk such a long journey on public transport, only to be told that ‘that’s that then’

I have now been denied NHS treatment, other than at the NGH, so I suppose that’s actually that then.

NHS "heroes" showing their 'caring' nature as usual. 

10 minutes ago, crookesey said:

@crookesey - If that was the attitude displayed to you, I would contact the PALS team at NGH - 0114 271 2400. The attitude shown to you is unacceptable.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Couldn’t you take a cab?