Who Hates The Pretentious Term 'Reaching Out' ?

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Who hates the pretentious term "reaching out" (as in I am reaching out to you) ?

I do !

And a few minutes on google indicates loads of other people find it annoying too.

So why do people use it ? ! ?

Which berk came up with it ?  

It must have come from America....

First time I can remember hearing it was in NYPD Blue if I remember correctly along with "Sorry for your loss" another I dislike intensely.

• Like 1

My pet hate is the current response I keep getting in replies to questions/complaints I pose in emails/cat-bots 'how are you today, hope you are well?' Yes, I am well, thank you, but an apology for whatever has gone wrong, or an explanation/resolution is what I am actually looking for. Unfortunately, that rarely, if ever, seems forthcoming until I find a way to the CEO/MD of the company concerned.

• Like 1

Famous musical ‘Guys and Dolls’.

Now what shall we change it to?

Gentlemen and Ladies? Nah, that’s too lavatorial!

Men and Women? So is that!
Lads and lassies? Yes, that’s it.

Instead of singing ‘Luck be a lady tonight’ they could change it to ‘ Luck be a lassie tonight’.

Instead of it being set in New York City and the storyline being about the gambling men and the women who try to tame them we could have a collie dog in Glasgow who wins the heart of  Billy Connolly and even stops him swearing. Much better; a hit all the way.😃

echo.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Glad you are Yorkie. You must be the same vintage as me or thereabouts to remember that film.

echo.

One of the all time greats echo. Every character superbly defined. Terry Thomas, Richard Attenborough, Dennis Price, Ian Carmichael and of course top of the tree Peter Sellers. Great support from Liz Fraser, Irene Handle, Margaret Rutherford, Terry Scott, John Le Mesurier and many others. Happy days.

• Thanks 1