Nature In Decline?

Frogs are a vital part of our natural world.

And they are in trouble. According to the IUCN Red List, 41% of amphibians are threatened with extinction. Populations are dwindling and many species haven’t been spotted in years.

They are the most threatened group of animals in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/QFm8C96RMGwbsJGd8J5mZB/why-frogs-are-so-important

The UK's flying insect population has declined by as much as 60% in the last 20 years, a new study has revealed.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2022/may/uks-flying-insects-have-declined-60-in-20-years.html

We no longer need to clear our windscreens of dead flies. A decline in minibeasts will lead to a knock on effect in other areas!

We are all doomed!

14 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Frogs are a vital part of our natural world.

And they are in trouble. According to the IUCN Red List, 41% of amphibians are threatened with extinction. Populations are dwindling and many species haven’t been spotted in years.

They are the most threatened group of animals in the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/QFm8C96RMGwbsJGd8J5mZB/why-frogs-are-so-important

The UK's flying insect population has declined by as much as 60% in the last 20 years, a new study has revealed.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2022/may/uks-flying-insects-have-declined-60-in-20-years.html

We no longer need to clear our windscreens of dead flies. A decline in minibeasts will lead to a knock on effect in other areas!

We are all doomed!

Been watching 'Dads Army', El Cid?

Hi Cid.

If we do small things it can help a bit. I think garden ponds are not as popular as they used to be. They need a bit of time to maintain/clean etc, and a lot of us are busy. There has been a few fatalities with toddlers too, and this will have reduced the interest to some degree

Some people even have a  washing up bowl set in a small part of the garden-it helps a bit.

I think the rise in temperature is the main issue maybe.

14 minutes ago, Janus said:

Hi Cid.

If we do small things it can help a bit. I think garden ponds are not as popular as they used to be. They need a bit of time to maintain/clean etc, and a lot of us are busy. There has been a few fatalities with toddlers too, and this will have reduced the interest to some degree.  Some people even have a  washing up bowl set in a small part of the garden-it helps a bit.

I think the rise in temperature is the main issue maybe.

I dont think it is climate change, I think there are just too many of us hoomans spewing harmful chemicals.

22 minutes ago, cressida said:

Organgrinder will have the answer.

I've always kept my garden so it's wildlife friendly and used to have lots of frogs, hedgehogs , foxes etc visiting.

I haven't seen a frog for around 8 years now, mainly due to privet hedges being taken up and replaced with the horrible modern fences because everyone's too idle to cut the hedges.

Hedgehogs still come but don't last long because they have to spend more time on the roads due to fences stopping them accessing the next gardens.

At least 5 years since I saw a fox.  don't know the reason for that but a lot of green fields have been built on..

I see far too may dead bees and butterflies are not as plentiful as they were.  insects and  beetles etc have definitely declined in number. 

I do what I can but I can do nothing about neighbours fences stopping wildlife from moving freely from garden to garden.