Communism.

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I've been to Cuba a few times & seen Communism close up. 

Yes, they have one of the best education systems in the world & also a health service that takes care of the population with a doctor / nurse ratio to population that we could only dream of.  However the flip side of that is the doctors & nurses are so poorly paid, as is the rest of the population, many supplement their salaries with second jobs or black market work.  Just ask, even the most highly regarded professional & they'll do a nice sideline in cigars & rum.  And you don't see their health care workers going on strike because they aren't allowed to & would find themselves in gaol

Those working in the tourism industry are lucky to make the equivalent of £25 to £30 a month legally & many rely on tourist at resorts giving them tips or as is common place for tourists, especially for those who have been to Cuba before, taking additional items, especially toiletries, to give to them that they struggle to afford. 

Despite all industries being State controlled with virtually full employment, many of the streets are like bomb sites.  It's not uncommon to see open sewers in Havana, even in the tourist areas. 

Go out at night & you'll find areas in total darkness due to power cuts which of course affects Internet access for locals & tourists alike.  The Internet content itself is strictly controlled by the State. You can't have the Cuban population finding out what it's like in tbe outside world or which many will never see unless the State allows them to leave the island. 

Meanwhile of course, the controling elite live in luxury.  That as ever is Communism in a nutshell. 

You can study communism in academia, and see some talking heads and their "documentaries"  on telly with their opinions, but nothing like travel, and getting up close and personal with the beast!

Thanks for the post!

(Oops! Alert! I feel an anecdotal post coming on! 😀)

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

In a democracy the population get what they deserve, no more no less.

Not all democratic countries are basket cases, including my adopted country!

In a democracy or a non-democracy,  the people always get what they get,   and not what you say - you have delusions of grandeur.

I never mentioned basket cases  -  you did.

I said  " a good fair"   system.

Pity you can't read.