Co2 Levels

28 minutes ago, ads36 said:

pre-industrial levels of CO2 were about 280ppm, it's now over 420 and climbing.

that's an increase of 140

as a percentage increase, that's exactly 50%

but what has this got to do with The Sheffield CAZ?

so how are you claiming 

?

I haven't claimed anything accept the council are bragging about the success of their scheme without substantiating it by showing reduced pollution figures and I can't find any historical data for pm10 , pm2.5 and NOx for the last few years to prove one way or another. You do have to prove change otherwise consider it's still the same.

Did find a site that showed Attercliffe has a pollution score of 1 to day and city centre is 2, which is odd as all the polluting vehicles will be going that way to avoid the CAZ charge.

32 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Because it's a tax on the driver who has already been taxed to the hilt 

there's no charge for personal  / newish commercial vehicles.

our VED is £30/year. 

fuel duty has been kept static for over a decade* - in fact, petrol is more or less exactly the same price as it was a decade ago, allowing for inflation, it's *much* cheaper.

tell me again about these excessive taxes?

(*and i'll believe that fuel is expensive when i see *anyone* driving like they aren't getting paid to burn as much as possible)

Edited by ads36

Not sure what you are saying, I haven't got a newish van but a quick google,
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/vans/content/everything-you-need-to-know-about-how-to-tax-a-van

£320 a year VED?  plus all the other taxexs that have to be paid running one, especially if it's down for personal use as well.

Why are you bringing new vehicle into this anyway ?  this thread is about older vehicles  (pre 2016) that are euro 5 so have to pay, newer euro 6 don't.
Most people I know getting stung are  older campervans and self employed people not earning great amounts so can only afford/ justify an older second hand vehicle. They are getting stung when they forget to drive around avoiding the ringroad (further and more congested roads so making more NO2).

I agree about peoples driving habits, accelerating and braking hard, thats why any environmental tax should really only be on the fuel, although thats a CO2 issue rather than NO2 which is what the CAZ is supposed to be about. It would  also cover badly maintained and "chipped" diesels, puthering clouds of black smoke when floored.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Why are you bringing new vehicle into this anyway ?

i definitely didn't.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

this thread is about older vehicles

no, this thread is about CO2, it's in the title. 

i was responding to someone complaining about taxes.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:11, Arthur Ritus said:

I haven't claimed anything accept the council are bragging about the success of their scheme without substantiating it by showing reduced pollution figures and I can't find any historical data for pm10 , pm2.5 and NOx for the last few years to prove one way or another. You do have to prove change otherwise consider it's still the same.

Did find a site that showed Attercliffe has a pollution score of 1 to day and city centre is 2, which is odd as all the polluting vehicles will be going that way to avoid the CAZ charge.

If you look on this page, there’s a link on the right hand side to diffusion tube results 2003 to 2021. Those monitor nitrogen dioxide.

As described on that page, DEFRA have monitoring sites in Sheffield and their historic data can be accessed here

• Thanks 1

Too many cars on the road, they need to do something to get some cars off the roads

I ma sick of being in traffic jams when driving around

On 12/12/2023 at 09:28, Steelmonger said:
11/12/23 the Sheffield council reported a higher percentage of electric vehicles  in the low emission zones around Sheffield ,the two points they missed out on in this report was if you have less diesel and petrol vehicles  around the city centre the percentage of electric vehicles will be higher, ,they also failed to report the most important fact and that is the overall air pollution around the city centre has not gone down one iota
Edit

Delete

6 minutes ago, rogets said:

Too many cars on the road, they need to do something to get some cars off the roads

Invest in decent public transport infrastructure.  Not just more smelly buses either.

Obviously, the likelihood of that happening outside of London is miniscule.

• Like 1