Oaps Under Surveillance

35 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

OAPs under surveillance: Minister admits Government could snoop on the bank accounts of state pensioners in battle against £8bn-a-year cost of welfare fraud - despite Mel Stride saying there's a 'very low level' of swindling in old-age benefits

The Work and Pensions Secretary today admitted the Government could begin snooping on the bank accounts of state pensioners in a bid to battle fraud and error.

Mel Stride told MPs it was 'not inconceivable' that new wide-ranging powers might be used to check on payments of the old-age benefit in the future.

This was despite the Cabinet minister acknowledging there is currently a 'very low level' of fraud and error within the administration of state pensions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12831923/OAPs-surveillance-Minister-admits-Government-snoop-bank-accounts-state-pensioners-battle-against-8bn-year-cost-welfare-fraud-despite-Mel-Stride-saying-theres-low-level-swindling-old-age-benefits.html

What up with that? 

there’s no end of threads/posts on here about “benefit scroungers”.

I would have thought people would be all for it.

I am.

Just now, Mkapaka said:

What up with that? 

I am.

My bold

Are asking me directly or is that a general question for everyone? 

3 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

What up with that? 

I am.

Will you be all for it when they use the information to make it easy to means test the state pension? After all it’s a benefit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Pretending it’s about fraud is just to get us onside. 

Quite obvious it's not just about fraud.  There's far more fraud in Tax & VAT evasion  and Commercial Crime.   

They want to know every little detail.    Makes it easier to rule us.     They'll be annoyed that they can't get rid of cash  because that would be the biggest help to them.

We all knew big brother was coming but they were a bit dozy as always.

6 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Will you be all for it when they use the information to make it easy to means test the state pension? After all it’s a benefit.

Yeah sounds a great idea - why would you give money to some well off pensioner who can live comfortably without it?

My one and only comment on this - the 'story' is in the Daily Mail, and, although I CBA to go looking for it, there is already a topic on this subject - IIRC quoting a Guardian article - which categorically states that the State Pension is not subject to this 'surveillance'.

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

OAPs under surveillance: Minister admits Government could snoop on the bank accounts of state pensioners in battle against £8bn-a-year cost of welfare fraud - despite Mel Stride saying there's a 'very low level' of swindling in old-age benefits

The Work and Pensions Secretary today admitted the Government could begin snooping on the bank accounts of state pensioners in a bid to battle fraud and error.

Mel Stride told MPs it was 'not inconceivable' that new wide-ranging powers might be used to check on payments of the old-age benefit in the future.

This was despite the Cabinet minister acknowledging there is currently a 'very low level' of fraud and error within the administration of state pensions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12831923/OAPs-surveillance-Minister-admits-Government-snoop-bank-accounts-state-pensioners-battle-against-8bn-year-cost-welfare-fraud-despite-Mel-Stride-saying-theres-low-level-swindling-old-age-benefits.html

This could affect the G.E. result,  has Sir Keir voiced his opinion or is he keeping quiet i.e. if it happens he won't bother rescinding it.

• Like 1