Vpn? complete novice trying to understand them

Skink

Been looking at getting a VPN, for more privacy / security etc, torn between Surfshark and Nord

Are they really as easy to set up & use as the ads say? Do I have to install stuff on our router and TV etc. I am guessing phones are quite easy

How many connections do I really need? For example Nord VPN allows 6 devices, is my router a device and my laptop? I assume the 6 is connections not devices

Any advice / opinions welcome, thank you

@SkinkTo be honest, your idea of using a VPN for privacy/security is not a good one. They can cause more issues than they 'supposedly' solve.

For instance if you attempt to use one when doing, for instance, online banking, you will most likely fail in the attempt, because the chances are that your 'route' will take you outside the UK, and cause the security software your bank uses to refuse the connection.

Most home users do not need a VPN, and unless you totally understand the way they work, you are merely creating problems for yourself.

To answer your other questions: Yes, they are easy to set up, no other 'stuff' needs to be installed anywhere .

Your laptop is a 'device', your router isn't.

A VPN is created from the device via a virtual network card that the VPN software will create. On the device, it just shows as another network adaptor. If the VPN package says 6 devices, that means 6 devices that you use, such as phones, tablets and PC's etc. The router isn't one of them.

A basic 'How it works' You start the VPN software and connect to a VPN server, then go on the internet. This will show your IP address to any sites visited as the servers IP address, not your home IP address. You could be sat in your home in Sheffield, but depending on the server, it will show that you are in any country in the world (well, most of them) depending on the server you go for. This hides where you really are (EG: Sheffield UK)

You also need to remember that geolocation is becoming more common. Although easy to get round, the BBC don't like VPNs and block them. I hear that Netflix ban you if you're caught using a VPN (Probably if you're trying to watch the American Netflix from the UK) This is a simple example of how a VPN can work against you.

As for which you go for. They will ALL say they are the best. I use Cyberghost and Nord. No problems with either.

It's much more in depth than what I've put, but it gives you an idea of the basics. What security and privacy concerns do you have?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skink said:

Been looking at getting a VPN, for more privacy / security etc, torn between Surfshark and Nord

Are they really as easy to set up & use as the ads say? Do I have to install stuff on our router and TV etc. I am guessing phones are quite easy

How many connections do I really need? For example Nord VPN allows 6 devices, is my router a device and my laptop? I assume the 6 is connections not devices

Any advice / opinions welcome, thank you

I use Nord mate and it's excellent. All it does is send you through their servers when you visit a website so if anyone were to try and trace you from the website you visit it would only take them to the VPN servers. A bit like going on a trip somewhere and calling off somewhere on the way, the direct journey is broken and you can't be traced.

The servers are placed all over the world so you can effectually put yourself in any part of the world and access that country's internet/media etc.

I found Express VPN to be the very best out there but it is a bit more expensive than the others, Nord is an excellent choice though and gives great value for money.

I find Surfshark very good, and with the advantage of not being based in one of the "Five Eyes" countries (though this number should really be 14 eyes) which means the Government would find it hard to blackmail the company to give your details away (Don't believe the - We don't keep logs rhetoric most companies give you)

https://cybernews.com/resources/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes-countries/

Edited by aardvark6535

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I want to give you food for thought - even if you use a paid VPN, it does not mean that you will have a good and clean IP address. And if you like to register on forums, chat there - you may fail, you will be immediately banned - simply because your IP will be spammed. Also, if you constantly change your location, then you will get tired of confirming in the mail that it is you (on forums or maybe even on social networks).

I use Surfshark mainly so I can use UK websites while I'm travelling abroad

I pay for a Dedicated IP because most companies blacklist generic IPs from VPN companies

I have the Surfshark app on my phone and devices which is really easy and simple to use.

The only thing I hate is that when I close the app it still runs in the background and I have to Force Stop it

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1