Tech Phobia

22 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You really think it's just 68 million people in the UK? 

Those are just the people who filled out the census

It's estimated to be at least 80 million  

Making up another set now or do you have proof ?

Longcol was correct  ( Office of National statistics. )  not just census figure but estimate.

When I said we should have identity cards,  you disagreed.    It is the only way you can find the true number.

Told you that you was making it up Grey.  

And this is being discussed on the wrong thread.

Edited by Organgrinder

14 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Making up another set now or do you have proof ?

Longcol was correct  ( Office of National statistics. )  not just census figure but estimate.

When I said we should have identity cards,  you disagreed.    It is the only way you can find the true number.

Told you that you was making it up Grey.  

And this is being discussed on the wrong thread.

Your posts are better than sleeping pills 

You're so boring that I only have to read a couple of your posts and I'm out cold

They should let women read your posts during child birth to numb the pain 

Goodnight 🙄

7 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Your posts are better than sleeping pills 

You're so boring that I only have to read a couple of your posts and I'm out cold

They should let women read your posts during child birth to numb the pain 

Goodnight 🙄

Proved wrong again so he's off.

19 hours ago, Chekhov said:

One thing that has to be mentioned is companies using IT to make their job easier, by giving a worse service.

Some companies do not even have a phone number, and others make you wait for ages as they click through all their options trying to  get you so peak to an auto bot, helpfully (NOT ! ) reminding you that you can use their website.

Even worse are this forcing you to talk to a bleedin' computer, eff off.

T0$$ers 

I did wonder if I was a bit harsh in this post.

Actually I was too mild...

I have to get in touch with booking.com and it's almost impossible. You have to work out how to navigate you way though loads of pages trying to make you force you to interact with a computer or  just use their FAQs. When I  finally got there I sent a message but never heard anything for two days. So, I am now trying to send it again (fortunately I kept the original as a draft in my Gmail....) but that process - of trying to actually send them a message- is so complicated I have already forgotten and am having to work it all out again.

It's APPALLING service, and it's "IT" that is responsible for that.

29 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I agree there’s more than 68 million people living in the UK.  

At the risk of sounding like the only honest bloke,  I will admit that I don't know how many there are,  so I will accept the governments figures as near enough, until we know how many

illegals have crept into the country over the years.    We never will know unless we introduce ID cards and the government won't because they don't want us to know. the true figures.

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

At the risk of sounding like the only honest bloke,  I will admit that I don't know how many there are,  so I will accept the governments figures as near enough, until we know how many

illegals have crept into the country over the years.    We never will know unless we introduce ID cards and the government won't because they don't want us to know. the true figures.

This subject seems to have drifted from Tech Phobia but hey ho. Thing is even with all their tech, smart phones, AI and other gizmos the government haven’t got a clue how many people are in the country legally or otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

This subject seems to have drifted from Tech Phobia but hey ho. Thing is even with all their tech, smart phones, AI and other gizmos the government haven’t got a clue how many people are in the country legally or otherwise.

You are correct  -  sorry.

37 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I did wonder if I was a bit harsh in this post.

Actually I was too mild...

I have to get in touch with booking.com and it's almost impossible. You have to work out how to navigate you way though loads of pages trying to make you force you to interact with a computer or  just use their FAQs. When I  finally got there I sent a message but never heard anything for two days. So, I am now trying to send it again (fortunately I kept the original as a draft in my Gmail....) but that process - of trying to actually send them a message- is so complicated I have already forgotten and am having to work it all out again.

It's APPALLING service, and it's "IT" that is responsible for that.

I'd argue that it's not "IT" that's responsible for this - it's how they've chosen to design and implement their IT that is the issue. Whether that's by accident (ie bad design) or deliberate (to reduce the number of people contacting them) is open to conjecture I suppose.

Anyway, you could always just phone them. It might not be readily apparent but booking.com only seem to show you their Customer Service phone number if you've actually logged in to their website. The number is +44 20 3320 2625.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carl said:

I'd argue that it's not "IT" that's responsible for this - it's how they've chosen to design and implement their IT that is the issue. Whether that's by accident (ie bad design) or deliberate (to reduce the number of people contacting them) is open to conjecture I suppose.

Anyway, you could always just phone them. It might not be readily apparent but booking.com only seem to show you their Customer Service phone number if you've actually logged in to their website. The number is +44 20 3320 2625.

Thanks for the phone number.

>>Whether that's by accident (ie bad design) or deliberate (to reduce the number of people contacting them) is open to conjecture I suppose.<<

I think we all know why it is, companies are desperate not to have people phoning them up because it costs money to employ people to answer those calls.

That's a legitimate (if very annoying) business strategy, but what really annoys me is when those same companies imply they give good customer service, or, even worse, you get some recorded message telling you that "in order to give you the best possible service we are (effectively) not going to answer your call but direct you to our voice bot or webchat or FAQs !"