Southwest Airlines Applauded For Policy For Customers Of Size

On 16/12/2023 at 20:34, The_DADDY said:

Southwest Airlines is committed to providing travelers a positive, money-friendly, and safe experience. Travelers can check up to two free checked bags and choose their seating. The airline is also being praised for its policy for customers of size.

Southwest Airlines has had a policy for customers of size for 30 years. Customers can determine if they need this policy by using the armrest as a gauge, which provides a boundary between seats. Southwest states, “If you’re unable to lower both armrests and/or encroach upon any portion of a seat next to you, you need a second seat.”

"Customers of size" 🤣

https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffwhitmore/2023/12/14/southwest-airlines-applauded-for-policy-for-customers-of-size/

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

I think there should also be a similar policy for flights from and to the UK.   I once had to  endure a flight with another passenger's flab resting on my left thigh and her right  upper torso  flab engulfing my left shoulder.  She was so large that I couldn't have the armrest down and she couldn't have her tray down in front.  The embarrassment was increased when I had to wake her from her loud-snoring slumber, so I could get up and use the toilet.  She spent every waking minute loudly and very messily gorging on food and drink.  So,  after enduring all this, I'm all for a 'customer of size' being led towards a double seat!

• Like 1

On 17/12/2023 at 00:00, Sierra said:

The day my big behind needs two airline seats?  I'm doing something about it.  Do people not get embarrassed anymore? 

Obviously some people are lazy and need to hit the gym, but I also don't think it's as simple as that for everyone. It's always intrigued me how anorexia is rightly seen as a mental illness which people have sympathy for,  but the sympathy doesn't extend to people who overeat as a result of mental illness. You wouldn't say an anorexic person should be embarrassed for looking like a skeleton. The two are just different ends of the same scale.

39 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

Obviously some people are lazy and need to hit the gym, but I also don't think it's as simple as that for everyone. It's always intrigued me how anorexia is rightly seen as a mental illness which people have sympathy for,  but the sympathy doesn't extend to people who overeat as a result of mental illness. You wouldn't say an anorexic person should be embarrassed for looking like a skeleton. The two are just different ends of the same scale.

I get claustrophobic

I demand I get a whole row to myself 

I am surprised we have not had one of our resident virtue signallers on here decrying this policy as "discriminatory".....

Whilst we're on this subject, how is it fair that people of normal weight get stung for an extra few KG in their suitcases, when somebody who weighs a full suitcase (or two....) more gets no additional charge because their suitcase happens to be under the arbitrary limit ? There is a good argument it should go on the total weight of the complete package !

15 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

I agree, it isn't simple. Losing weight is not easy. If you want to quit smoking for instance, then you just stop. But you need to eat.  The situation is similar with children. A seriously underweight child at the doctor's office or school would be investigated. Are the parents not feeding them enough? Do they have some sort of metabolic problem?  

But a lot of people don't look twice at a very overweight kid who lives on fast food and soda  and is similarly malnourished.  Soda is one of my pet peeves!  I've seen a parent put Coca Cola in a babies bottle. Terrific. Not only is it full of sugar and caffeine, it'll rot their teeth. I used to tell my kids if they wanted soda they could go buy it themselves! When they got older and got jobs, I noticed they didn't often spend their hard earned wages on junk food. 

I just feel that while larger folks should not be publicly shamed, Southwest making it ok to  continue their destructive bad habits is just wrong. 

8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I am surprised we have not had one of our resident virtue signallers on here decrying this policy as "discriminatory".....

Whilst we're on this subject, how is it fair that people of normal weight get stung for an extra few KG in their suitcases, when somebody who weighs a full suitcase (or two....) more gets no additional charge because their suitcase happens to be under the arbitrary limit ? There is a good argument it should go on the total weight of the complete package !

It's not fair at all. Southwest can afford to virtue signal because there are way more people of normal weight who fly that can be used to fund this nonsense.  

• Like 2