Our Church Of England Has Waved The White Flag Of Surrender

Axe

3 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I'm an atheist and I think it's ridiculous quite frankly. There are plenty of other places to do it such as the registry office etc.

They do get 'married' in places like registry officers but are now allowed to have blessings in churches.  They thankfully are still not allowed to get 'married' in a church.

On 17/12/2023 at 17:03, Axe said:

It will not be long before same sex weddings will be allowed in Churches which will make a mockery out of the institution of marriage. There is nothing sacred anymore and our country and the Church of England are going to the dogs.

The Church (and most religions, in general) have always cherry picked and changed their rules and ideals.

It's silly really, there have been no updates from God on revisions of the Bible.

That's the problem with most religions though, you either believe the holy texts literally (which are full of contradictions and nasty advice/rules) or you just choose the bits you like, which means you aren't really a true believer in the strictest sense.

Edited by RootsBooster

55 minutes ago, Axe said:

Just doing a straw poll.  I have a theory the atheists are more likely to support same sex church blessings than normal  christian folk. 

Why does the sexual orientation of inconsequential people matter to you when the proclivities of Boris Johnson not trouble you?

I cannot remember once you using the lack of moral compass of Johnson as an instance which conflicted you with your apparent faith.

That's why I think you're dishonest, and hiding your prejudices behind your religious convictions, which on any other subject you have not raised, so they can't be that important to you.

Edited by Mister M

5 hours ago, Cyclunt said:

Of course Parliament is more than one man, but i suppose it all depends on who that man is. Mrs Thatcher was just one woman, but by god her cabinet and underlings did exactly as she requested!!! Yes, you are right that the democracy is there but influence is a very powerful tool x

We do need to be always vigilant and ready to deal with anything which could tip our form of government into new directions.

As I stated, my feelings are that big business, and other vested interests,  are too big a threat with their never ending donations to MP's,   Government Ministers etc.

Friends Of Israel are very supportive of British Politicians as are American Private Health Care companies and we already knew that Russian money has found it's way into Westminster too.

I don't believe that all these  "Donations" as they are laughingly called,  are a wise thing to allow and they should be either outlawed,  or made fully public so that we all know who's paid what,  and to whom.

A publicly informed  "WHY"   would be even more useful,  as I trust none of them any more than I would a spiv in a boozer. 

,Apart from public benefactors,  people rarely give lots of money away for nowt,  without wanting the public to know about it.     I would always like to know the big  "WHY".

14 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

The Church (and most religions, in general) have always cherry picked and changed there rules and ideals.

It's silly really, there have been no updates from God on revisions of the Bible.

That's the problem with most religions though, you either believe the holy texts literally (which are full of contradictions and nasty advice/rules) or you just choose the bits you like, which means you aren't really a true believer in the strictest sense.

You are absolutely right and it soon becomes clear that all of them choose the bits they like and ignore the rest   In any other business,  it would be known as fraud.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Why does the sexual orientation of inconsequential people matter to you when the proclivities of Boris Johnson not trouble you?

I cannot remember once you using the lack of moral compass of Johnson as an instance which conflicted you with your apparent faith.

That's why I think you're dishonest, and hiding your prejudices behind your religious convictions, which on any other subject you have not raised, so they can't be that important to you.

You are obsessed about Boris Johnson.  He has not been involved in a same sex marriage or blessing or was responsible for passing the legislation in parliament to allow sex same marriages in our country.  Please stop contributing nonsense in a serious topical thread.

11 minutes ago, Axe said:

You are obsessed about Boris Johnson.  He has not been involved in a same sex marriage or blessing or was responsible for passing the legislation in parliament to allow sex same marriages in our country.  Please stop contributing nonsense in a serious topical thread.

You're a big supporter of Boris Johnson and Johnson is morally lax.

You quote normal 'christian folk', like they wouldn't at all be bothered by his string of affairs or complete absence of ethical standards - indeed that's why he was kicked out of office by his former colleagues.

BTW, you're contributing nonsense because Johnson was involved in the vote on the Civil Partnership Bill. So you could get your basic facts right.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, RootsBooster said:

The Church (and most religions, in general) have always cherry picked and changed their rules and ideals.

When you think of all the people who have contributed to the bible there are bound to be ones who have different opinions,  I go by what Jesus has said.   

If there are people who want to be married in church,  blessed, etc.  is it any of my business,  they must have some faith that there is a creator and if he disapproves they'll find out when they die and arrive at the Pearly Gates.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

You're a big supporter of Boris Johnson and Johnson is morally lax.

You quote normal 'christian folk', like they wouldn't at all be bothered by his string of affairs or complete absence of ethical standards - indeed that's why he was kicked out of office by his former colleagues.

BTW, you're contributing nonsense because Johnson was involved in the vote on the Civil Partnership Bill. So you could get your basic facts right.

I am not a big supporter of Boris Johnson. But I  continue to support Boris Johnson for one reason and that is that he  was the only politician who  was capable of gaining the support of the electorate to get the democratic  choice of the electorate done. That democratic choice was Brexit.