Our Church Of England Has Waved The White Flag Of Surrender

Axe

19 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I couldn't care less if two cats wanted to get married in a church.

Very very rarely we agree lately but I wouldn't argue with that.

57 minutes ago, altus said:

If you're going to quote Leviticus to support your point you'll be expected to abide by all the rules and restriction in Leviticus or you'll undermine your argument and be accused of being a hypocrite. So, do you have any clothes that are made of mixes fibres? How do you defend your support of slavery?

I'm an atheist and not a Christian, so I don't abide by any of it. What I was saying is that I find it strange gay people would want to marry in a church when the Bible clearly states they are an abomination.

2 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

I'm an atheist and not a Christian, so I don't abide by any of it. What I was saying is that I find it strange gay people would want to marry in a church when the Bible clearly states they are an abomination.

After saying you don't abide by any of it,  you think it's correct that you decide what they should do ?   That's a very unfair view and I'm sure the church would say so.

It may seem strange to you, especially if you are an atheist,  and I have already explained that many peoples views of the bible regard it as a book full of contradictions.

I'm also quite sure that most people connected with the church in any way would definitely not accept the advice of an atheist in regards to changes to the churches rules.

Edited by Organgrinder

16 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

After saying you don't abide by any of it,  you think it's correct that you decide what they should do ?   That's a very unfair view and I'm sure the church would say so.

It may seem strange to you, especially if you are an atheist,  and I have already explained that many peoples views of the bible regard it as a book full of contradictions.

I'm also quite sure that most people connected with the church in any way would definitely not accept the advice of an atheist in regards to changes to the churches rules.

Where have I said what the church should do? I said I find it strange that gay people would choose to have a wedding/blessing there given what the scripture says about them.

I'm also quite sure that most people associated with the church don't like being forced to hold these ceremonies.

1 hour ago, Vrsaljko said:

Where have I said what the church should do? I said I find it strange that gay people would choose to have a wedding/blessing there given what the scripture says about them.

I'm also quite sure that most people associated with the church don't like being forced to hold these ceremonies.

You look like having to live with the strangeness then,    I see no problem with it,  and I'm happy to let the gays and the church people decide for themselves.

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

What utter rubbish. What trouble have you got into by questioning and complaining on this forum? A bit of jibing and pointed discussion from others on the forum, me included. It's just a forum, who gives a f*** what gets said on here.

What if the things said to you on this forum were said to you in real life, would you care? I know I wouldn't.

Where are these "hypocritical virtue signalling authoritarians" active, cos I don't come across them in my life in Sheffield and my work travels outside of it. I just see people going about their lives as they have done for years.

>>What trouble have you got into by questioning and complaining on this forum?<<

It's not on this forum, I'm talking about real life. Though, of course, under the old regime, I did get banned from this very forum for telling the truth (that kids were at no significant risk from Covid).....

>>What if the things said to you on this forum were said to you in real life, would you care? I know I wouldn't.<<

I don't much care what is said to me on this forum, or indeed in real life. Unless it is by people who have power over you.....

Interestingly I suspect very strongly that the trolls on here (almost all from the virtue signalling authoritarian left) are teh sort fo people who would not say boo to a goose face to face.

>>Where are these "hypocritical virtue signalling authoritarians" active, cos I don't come across them in my life in Sheffield and my work travels outside of it<<

I take it you were out of the country, in fact on another world, during Covid then ?

18 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>What trouble have you got into by questioning and complaining on this forum?<<

It's not on this forum, I'm talking about real life. Though, of course, under the old regime, I did get banned from this very forum for telling the truth (that kids were at no significant risk from Covid).....

>>What if the things said to you on this forum were said to you in real life, would you care? I know I wouldn't.<<

I don't much care what is said to me on this forum, or indeed in real life. Unless it is by people who have power over you.....

Interestingly I suspect very strongly that the trolls on here (almost all from the virtue signalling authoritarian left) are teh sort fo people who would not say boo to a goose face to face.

>>Where are these "hypocritical virtue signalling authoritarians" active, cos I don't come across them in my life in Sheffield and my work travels outside of it<<

I take it you were out of the country, in fact on another world, during Covid then ?

Nope, was working online from home during initial part of first lockdown of Covid, then back on sites, and travelling to sites, where we were asked to work not close to each other, adopt basic handwashing procedures, limit the number of people in canteens and the like. None of it was very challenging to do.

Like most people, I thought it wasn't too much of a hassle to do those things, especially if it got us back to a normal state. At no time did I come across anyone and think, "Who's this hypocritical virtue signalling authoritarian, telling me what to do?" Maybe I was too thick skinned to sense it. I don't know anybody in real life who uses that phrase, or any part of it. All my mates are more concerned with enjoying their family and social life, going out boozing, playing football, watching football, working, making money etc etc.

I also have never met anyone, ever, in any country, and I've been to dozens of them, who has been in the slightest bit concerned about temporary traffic lights, or roundabouts v t-junctions, or taking videos of their kids at school events, or any of the other things you seem massively over-sensitive to. They might think at the time, "This is a pain in the a***" but I doubt they dwell on it the way you seem to do.

• Like 1