Gratitude To Parents?

Do uou feel gratefull to your parents, for bringing you up?

A Son and Daughter that I know do not, yet they are happy to recieve £100,000 inheritance!

Surely they should denounce their inheritance, if they are not prepared to help their parents in later life. Of course if there is no inheritance, that is a different matter.

Just a discussion, to take your mind off Rwanda and the boat people, these asylum seekers seem to affect many peoples lives.

I’ve seen many peoples’ lives destroyed by demanding, selfish aged-parents, often of course dementia and disability is a big factor in the selfishness. I wouldn’t call my mother selfish, but she doesn’t really understand how much it takes out of me, and probably can’t remember that I’ve been round to see her 4 days out of the last 6, twice in a taxi in the middle of the night. My partner says ‘I can tell when you’ve been to your mothers’ as I’m falling asleep by 8pm. Yesterday after seeing her I went to bed at 5pm and had to be shaken awake at 7.15.

Just ten minutes ago there was a classic: I rang her as I have for the last 2000 nights straight, we chat for 20mins, often it’s quite fun, I told her I’d been to bed when I got home yesterday, and she said quite chidingly ‘well where had you been, what had you been doing?’, ‘I was at yours’, I said, ‘Oooh’ she said after a pause.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I’ve seen many peoples’ lives destroyed by demanding, selfish aged-parents, often of course dementia and disability is a big factor in the selfishness. I wouldn’t call my mother selfish, but she doesn’t really understand how much it takes out of me, and probably can’t remember that I’ve been round to see her 4 days out of the last 6, twice in a taxi in the middle of the night. My partner says ‘I can tell when you’ve been to your mothers’ as I’m falling asleep by 8pm. Yesterday after seeing her I went to bed at 5pm and had to be shaken awake at 7.15.

Just ten minutes ago there was a classic: I rang her as I have for the last 2000 nights straight, we chat for 20mins, often it’s quite fun, I told her I’d been to bed when I got home yesterday, and she said quite chidingly ‘well where had you been, what had you been doing?’, ‘I was at yours’, I said, ‘Oooh’ she said after a pause.

Before I read your last sentence,  I was thinking you should have let her know how you felt,  truly,  some people who are dependent are so concerned with their own health problems they don't see that it can be a problem for anyone else,  because you're younger they think you're as you were when you left home.  

3 minutes ago, Palomar said:

I'm getting on a bit now Pal , Never ask the kids for ow't . 

But I know if we need it we just have to ask .

You sound a bit like I was when my adopted parents got older , No phone at their house then so it was two bus rides from  North Sheffield to the South of the City , Then two back home ,

Just to say hello most of the time , 

Never regretted it though , You reap what you sow .  Your memories will be there when she has gone and you will sleep at night knowing you did the right and proper things /

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I'm getting on a bit now Pal , Never ask the kids for ow't . 

But I know if we need it we just have to ask .

You sound a bit like I was when my adopted parents got older , No phone at their house then so it was two bus rides from  North Sheffield to the South of the City , Then two back home ,

Just to say hello most of the time , 

Never regretted it though , You reap what you sow .  Your memories will be there when she has gone and you will sleep at night knowing you did the right and proper things /

:thumbsup:

• Like 1