European Travel To Require Fingerprints

All UK passport holders will need have their fingerprints taken on arrival in European (except RoI and Cyprus) from next October next year.

This and the £7 per three years ETIAS short stay scheme will be a requirement, This will prevent us overstaying which will require a full visa and full tax deceleration.

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It's really no big deal is it.

Well no, especially as the UK are starting an identical scheme. This is what we (well, not me) voted for. And it doesnt just affect UK arrivals to the EU either.

Edited by HeHasRisen

37 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

It's really no big deal is it.

22 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well no, especially as the UK are starting an identical scheme. This is what we (well, not me) voted for. And it doesnt just affect UK arrivals to the EU either.

Could not agree more. In fact its pretty much the same process I've had when visiting most non-EU countries around the world.

Biometric passports have been on the cards for a while.  People seem more than happy to swipe their fingerprint to get easy access to their phone or banking app or entry into some buildings and they are not crying about it.

However, I'm sure the usual  suspects will be along shortly with their tin foil conspiracy theories.... banging on about the 'good old days' of proper British paper passports and nothing more than a smile to get through customs, speculating about fingerprints being used for evil under some government secret scheme to sell our data and working in some way to declare woke, transgender, black neoliberalists are ruining the world....

Seems to be how most of the threads are descending these days

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

While we were still EU members our officials took part in the early planning of this requirement. Our politicians were fully aware of this happening,  although I don't remember it being mentioned prior to the referendum. It will apply to all Third Countries which is what we chose to be.

As I hold an Irish passport it won't apply to me but it will to the rest of my Sheffield family.