They Shoot Horses, Dont They?

A friend has just had his 15 year old labrador put down. It must have been a really hard thing to do.

I notice Ester Ranzen is in the news. Should we allow youthenasia?

The broadcaster Dame Esther Rantzen says she has joined the Dignitas assisted dying clinic in Switzerland.

The 83-year-old told the BBC she is currently undergoing a "miracle" treatment for stage four lung cancer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67756506

Most times, life is prolonged, beyond what is useful. But most do chose to live, is that changing?

Edited by El Cid

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

Personally I think it should be the choice of the individual, as long as they are of sound enough mind to make the choice themselves.

That's the whole controversy, are they of sound mind?

I really don't know what's right to be honest, but if I had to choose I would have to agree with you.

• Like 1

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

Personally I think it should be the choice of the individual, as long as they are of sound enough mind to make the choice themselves.

Unfortunately this will be a major stumbling block, as many old people have Dementia or Alzheimers. 

Palliative care is all very well but at £1,000  a week to drool in the corner of a care home, would you want to see your loved ones deprived of an inheritance.

• Sad 1

People with terminal and/or degenerative diseases should have the right to choose their exit route.  For some, unfortunately leave it too late and don't have the means or the physical or mental capability to get there under their own steam and so suffer a sometimes long and agonising existence until natural death.  To be assisted by a partner,  relative or friend would leave them open to be convicted of a serious criminal offence.

I believe that there should be a better discussion with lawyers, physicians and parliamentarians and some guiding principles drawn up. 

1 minute ago, Tipstaff said:

People with terminal and/or degenerative diseases should have the right to choose their exit route.  For some, unfortunately leave it too late and don't have the means or the physical or mental capability to get there under their own steam and so suffer a sometimes long and agonising existence until natural death.  To be assisted by a partner,  relative or friend would leave them open to be convicted of a serious criminal offence.

I believe that there should be a better discussion with lawyers, physicians and parliamentarians and some guiding principles drawn up. 

Perhaps something that can be along the same lines as a will, but only opened on diagnosis of a terminal illness etc..?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Unfortunately this will be a major stumbling block, as many old people have Dementia or Alzheimers. 

Palliative care is all very well but at £1,000  a week to drool in the corner of a care home, would you want to see your loved ones deprived of an inheritance.

Give it all away to who you want before going into a care home!

Don’t agree with euthanasia at all.

echo.