What's Occurring The Bbc Sports Personality Year On A Tuesday Night

Axe

3 hours ago, Axe said:

Haaland is not British  but would have been a good contender for overseas sports personality of the year.  Harry Kane would have been a worthy winner because he has set new records since playing at Bayern Munich as well as  taking the record for the most goals scored for the real England football team.

Apparently a woman is going to referee a match in the  top league of English football for the first time today,

I caught a bit of the Serie A, Fiorentina v Verona game last Sunday & that was refereed by a woman.  Serie A have women officiating in the top flight for a good season now so we're a bit behind. 

Don't know if it's a difference in attitude in the Italian top flight but when something contentious happend in the match, there was no confrontational shouting in the refs face or players surrounding her attempting to intimidate her. 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Out of those contenders that were IMPOSED on the voting public, Earps was definitely the best of this year's bunch & as I said before, at least she has a personality & she was definitely the most high profile of the lot but let's face it, if it was an open public vote, she & the other 5 wouldn't have got a look in.   Someone like Erling Haaland would have won it. 

I suppose that's the reasoning for the selection process & only offering selected sport people up for the vote but surely if you're going to have representatives from horse racing & cricket, at least offer up 2 people who are still playing & not retired. 

They have a short list because it's too susceptible to rigging otherwise. Memorably, in 1991 Angling Times campaigned for Bob Nudd to win.

As far as the general public were concerned 1991 was pre-internet, the web had barely escaped CERN by then. Organising such rigging would be much easier now.

43 minutes ago, Axe said:

I am only interested in watching sport played at the highest lever by sports people who are better than me.  

Yes,  those Paralympians are very good,  I have to agree.

21 minutes ago, altus said:

They have a short list because it's too susceptible to rigging otherwise. Memorably, in 1991 Angling Times campaigned for Bob Nudd to win.

As far as the general public were concerned 1991 was pre-internet, the web had barely escaped CERN by then. Organising such rigging would be much easier now.

Just had a gander on the intranet & found SPOTY's T&C's. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/67077370

BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR AWARD

This award goes to the sportsperson whose sporting actions have most captured the UK public's imagination during 2023.

An expert independent panel (hereafter 'the Panel') will convene in December 2023 to decide the shortlist of sportspeople for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award. The composition of the Panel will be published in due course.

The BBC Sports Personality of the Year production team will provide the Panel with an extensive list of the top sportspeople from 2023, including information on their achievements. The Panel will be free to consider other potential candidates.

The Panel will select a shortlist of sportspeople for the main award on the basis of the following criteria:

• Reflects UK sporting achievements on the national and/or international stage;
  • Represents the breadth and depth of UK sports; and
  • Takes into account 'impact' of the person's sporting achievement beyond the sport in question.

It must have been a very fallow year for UK sport if they were the best 6 contenders they could come up with from an EXTENSIVE list but note, it's the BBC who decide who's on the extensive list to start with. 

Edited by Baron99