What's Occurring The Bbc Sports Personality Year On A Tuesday Night

Axe

9 minutes ago, KP Nuts 2 said:

😂😂😂 You can't say that mate. Well errrr..... you just did. Not sure if she won it or not but she'd have deserved to if she didn't i'd have thought, one year or another at least.

Think they even named a stand at t'lane after her as well although I think she asked them to remove her name I heard. Just can't remember why though now. Anybody??????

I believe it may have been due to a player's behaviour (pending conviction) being disclosed at the time?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Did not Owls player win it one time 

I had a cursory look through and couldn't see one. I may have missed him though. The nearest I could see was Seb Coe who moved to Sheffield and attended Tapton School after being born in Hammersmith and moving to Warickshire I think it said.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/bbc-spoty-winners/

48 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Has a Sheffield sports person ever won it 

Don't think so Cuttsie..

But Des Smith founder of the Caribbean Sports Club has been honoured with Sports Personality unsung hero award...

Well done Des, proper person.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

So a lady goalkeeper who hasn't won anything this year and is famous for swearing in front of the camera has won ?

Yeah, sounds about right for the tick boxing beeb.

Voted for by the Great British public, isn't it?  Like Strictly Celebs in the Jungle.

When I saw the line up of sportsmen & women for the public vote & saw that Mary Earps was listed, straight away I thought nobody else has a chance.   To be fair, she does have a personality. 

Mind you someone's slipped up in the BBC's Dept for Wokeness.  6 sportspeople & only 2 women but the other inclusion boxes have been ticked.   Ethic minority?  Check!  Disabled?  Check!   A couple of retirees?  Check?   Detori might not have won last night but the BBC will hand him the lifetime achievement award next year. 

Sports Personality is another one of those BBC programmes which is passed its sell by date.   

Last night was touted as a biggy & something special as it was the 70th one.  So what does the BBC with one of its flagship shows, shunts it away on a Tuesday night because the BBC now realises it's actually irrelevant & and the rot set in about a decade ago when the nominees were IMPOSED for the public vote to make sure that the  inclusivity & equality boxes were ticked. 

The last time I watched it was a few years ago & it had also become, like many programmes today, mawkish with lots of teary eyes, sportspeople, crying & telling us of their hardships, struggles & 'life journeys' with Lineker or Logan, nodding I sympathy.  Pfffft! 

What the BBC will never reveal is exactly how many people actually bothered to vote because that would be a telling embarrassment. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1