You Can Now Do A Gcse In Sign Language

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

We have used the Makaton signing and the pictogram card system with relatives with all ages from 12 month to 93, started with autism, then dementia with some success. It is really great fun with babies. 

Yes, I have seen the pictogram cards used.

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

We have used the Makaton signing and the pictogram card system with relatives with all ages from 12 month to 93, started with autism, then dementia with some success. It is really great fun with babies. 

We are already teaching the Grandchildren basic signs but there is a reason for that . 

6 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

A few years ago some organisation was trying to get Government to make it compulsory to teach sign language in schools. I don’t think it would hurt just to teach the basics in BSL.

You never know it might be part of a  school curriculum in the future. 

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Chekhov said:

British Sign Language to be introduced as GCSE in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-67772338

But how many people will take the GCSE ?

How many will actually ever use it (and I mean use it regularly enough so they don't just forget it) ?

And, in an age when fewer and fewer people are taking foreign languages, why are they introducing another ?

But at least this all make us feel good about ourselves, we all live in a society where they teach kids sign language at school.

Approx 85,000 deaf people use sign language in this country, 1 in 765, which is about 500 in Sheffield.

By the way , its not a foreign language .