Nhs Staff At Ngh.

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Unfortunately not. It was covered up and my boy still has issues resulting from the incident which was 7 years. 

I am sorry to hear this and I would strongly advise you to seek legal advice. A visit to the Citizen's Advice (with all your paperwork/evidence) would be a good first port of call

The NHS is a very large and practically unmanageable organisation and, as some have already said needs trimming down.  Like all organisations its size, it'll have its good caring and dedicated professionals and its fair share of lazy good-for-nothings too!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

So what happens if you are poor and get ill in America?

I can't believe the poor are just left to die.

Yes they are. 

But let's not forget the same thing happens here.

Sometimes treatments exist for certain conditions, but are considered too expensive to be applied. It's all regulated by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) who decide what treatments and medications can be afforded on the NHS and what can't. The news is full of examples where a medication or treatment is withheld because of cost. A cheaper but less effective one may be offered instead, but not always. People may be able to go private, or go abroad for treatment but have to fund it themselves which is beyond poorer people's means.  

A good example is Proton Beam Therapy which was available in many other countries as a treatment for Cancer, but unavailable in the UK. Only after a public outcry was it decided to build a very expensive centre for it at last here in the UK, but demand far exceeds supply.

In effect treatment is rationed and always will be. Pharmaceutical companies are big business not charities. As new treatments and cures for serious illnesses are developed but increasingly expensive, some people will always 'be just left to die.'      

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes they are. 

But let's not forget the same thing happens here.

Sometimes treatments exist for certain conditions, but are considered too expensive to be applied. It's all regulated by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) who decide what treatments and medications can be afforded on the NHS and what can't. The news is full of examples where a medication or treatment is withheld because of cost. A cheaper but less effective one may be offered instead, but not always. People may be able to go private, or go abroad for treatment but have to fund it themselves which is beyond poorer people's means.  

A good example is Proton Beam Therapy which was available in many other countries as a treatment for Cancer, but unavailable in the UK. Only after a public outcry was it decided to build a very expensive centre for it at last here in the UK, but demand far exceeds supply.

In effect treatment is rationed and always will be. Pharmaceutical companies are big business not charities. As new treatments and cures for serious illnesses are developed but increasingly expensive, some people will always 'be just left to die.'      

No they are not.

There are systems that help folk on low income.

47 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

No they are not.

There are systems that help folk on low income.

The vagaries of health care in the US are legendary. Working  people and families in the US people and worry and spend a far greater proportion of their income on healthcare. It costs the country more overall, with worse outcomes for population.

You can pay for some of the best treatments in the world and you can die on waiting lists unheard of in the UK and Europe.

It's political. It is hugely profitable and massively unpopular. The NHS and most European healthcare is based on rationing resources. The US system is 'pay as you' go(mainly through private and work insurance and acquired wealth) and a mixture of charity and State intervention, which in many cases is basic and not long term.

My neighbour there was a landlord who had exhausted his insurance cover for his heart condition. Now his treatment required him to sell up. He still paid health insurance to cover other emergencies. 

7 hours ago, Mkapaka said:

Have the police been involved? How was it covered up?

The police weren't interested.

All medications were accounted for (meaning the one used on my boy was restocked) and no notes were taken. The nurse who used the morphine on him went home, the New shift had no idea he'd been given it and so on.

It was an extremely traumatic time for him and us. As much as I'd like justice I just don't have the strength to go through it all again so I counted our blessings and we moved on however getting him to set foot in hospital now is a difficult and very upsetting experience. 

12 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I am sorry to hear this and I would strongly advise you to seek legal advice. A visit to the Citizen's Advice (with all your paperwork/evidence) would be a good first port of call

The NHS is a very large and practically unmanageable organisation and, as some have already said needs trimming down.  Like all organisations its size, it'll have its good caring and dedicated professionals and its fair share of lazy good-for-nothings too!

This is true but it took me some years to recognize this. This year they looked after my daughter, made her well again and it was a very different experience than with my son. It kind of restored my faith a little bit.

On 27/12/2023 at 01:22, KP Nuts 2 said:

Ah, the old "Be carful what you wish for." Fact of the matter is it's sinking and it can't be righted. Of course the extreme left wing will never accept this. They just see it as easy pickings for a lazy pink haired work force. The more money thrown at this organisation, the worse it gets. Can't you see that, it gets worse and worse, an absolute shambles. Get it scrapped.

Labour knows. Streeting is already changing tack. They've been happy enough having a pop at the Tories for the failing NHS, but they've suddenly realised it's coming their way.

My solution? Sack all the senior management and bring in 100's of American managers, do it quickly and you just might save some of it.

"Be careful what you wish for?" Like getting some treatment you mean? That's what I wish for, and if I can't have it then scrap the NHS. Not fit for purpose.

That's already been tried in the 1980s, and that structure is largely still there. Not American managers, but Thatcher's way of bringing 'market discipline' into the system. This philosophy reached its nadir with Lansley's reforms in the early 2010s, and were disastrous, and costly. The Government then spent an awful lot of time and money unpicking his reforms.

With regards to the "there's too many managers" complaint, a number of organisations like The King's Fund have looked at this in detail and have concluded that, IIRC the NHS workforce has 5% managers (and many of those will be clinicians). I seem to remember the King's Fund saying that that's under what a lot of private sector organisations have for managers in numbers.

There does need to be reform, exactly what that is needs to work with the grain of the society we have, the needs and wants of its population. I have heard Streeting say that he wants the NHS to be a 7 day a week service, so operating theatres will be operational on Saturday and Sunday. He's also spoken about the need for more community resources in terms of GP Hubs, Mental Health Hubs and more walk in centres to take pressure off secondary care services.

Edited by Mister M

On 26/12/2023 at 16:38, Anna B said:

I certainly don't blame Cyclunt for being extremely upset. anyone would be. Yes the system is failing, but that's because it needs reform, not scrapping. It's been mucked about with, cut to ribbons, and and badly managed for years, but there's no reason why it can't improve with the right changes. Social care needs to be integrated into the system under the NHS banner for a start. It's integral to its overall success. 

Be careful what you wish for. If it's scrapped, what makes you think that whatever takes its place will be any better?

I have had a year of the best treatment possible , I will be eternally great full to the staff at Hallamshire and Weston Park .  
I have been talking to local carers today the two lasses have 34 calls to make , some of those will include the situation Cyclunt describes , The lasses have just a few minutes to attend to people twice a day .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I have had a year of the best treatment possible , I will be eternally great full to the staff at Hallamshire and Weston Park .  
I have been talking to local carers today the two lasses have 34 calls to make , some of those will include the situation Cyclunt describes , The lasses have just a few minutes to attend to people twice a day .

I also have a great deal to be grateful to the NHS for. I have had wonderful treatment which has saved my life.

I have also witnessed the opposite. So seen both sides. 

But the social care aspect is also very important as it's shortcomings impinges on the NHS in a very real and detrimental way. It desperately needs sorting out and has done  for years, but it's become the Cinderella service. Women (and sometimes men) often used to provide free care to older or vulnerable family members but now have to work, so that free care has gone and never been adequately replaced. Yet it is a vital part of the whole system.

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I also have a great deal to be grateful to the NHS for. I have had wonderful treatment which has saved my life.

I have also witnessed the opposite. So seen both sides. 

But the social care aspect is also very important as it's shortcomings impinges on the NHS in a very real and detrimental way. It desperately needs sorting out and has done  for years, but it's become the Cinderella service. Women (and sometimes men) often used to provide free care to older or vulnerable family members but now have to work, so that free care has gone and never been adequately replaced. Yet it is a vital part of the whole system.

My bold.

Really Anna? 

Sorry but I'm so sick of this. Many MANY men care for elderly and vulnerable relatives just as many MANY women do. Why on earth you felt the need to highlight the women's contribution but sideline the men's is beyond me.