Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

24 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Virtue signalling definition :

the public expression of opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or social conscience or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.

Bingo. That's you to a t. You always think that you are morally correct.

Now, have a nice mince pie and a sit down.

>>That's you to a t (sic)<<

Except it isn't.

>>You always think that you are morally correct.<<

Even if I did that's got nothing to do with virtue signalling, which is about signalling how virtuous you are because of much you care about other people (even if that's frequently inconsistent because this has all gone so far now it just means other people suffer for it, Mike Buckley's infamous comment being the most extreme example).

17 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I've no idea of the incident which led Chekkers to the conclusion that it's all going a bit far; but I was always told on this forum who believe this that the issue is "people getting offended on their behalf".

Isn't that what Chekkers is doing, deciding what people should and shouldn't be offended by?

No, quite the opposite. I am saying someone being offended about that is not enough reason for it to be two headlines in The Times. It's over sensitivity writ large.

Nobody has a right not to be offended anyway.

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

>>That's you to a t (sic)<<

Except it isn't.

>>You always think that you are morally correct.<<

Even if I did that's got nothing to do with virtue signalling, which is about signalling how virtuous you are because of much you care about other people 

I was using your definition:

the public expression of opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate … the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.”

I’d go and get that mince pie if I were you. This argument is finished.

6 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Most of what the right claim of the left is pure transference. It's so funny.

I don't even know what you mean.

Just out of interest, do you think the fact one member of the crowd may have mad a racist comment to a player warrants it being in two headlines of The Times ?

Yes or no ?

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Just out of interest, do you think the fact one member of the crowd may have mad a racist comment to a player warrants it being in two headlines of The Times ?

Yes or no ?

The media are only interested in clicks and sales so if they think it's something that will gain interest, they will run with it. 

If you have a problem with the media reporting then take it up with them. Or you could just ignore it as it's something you aren't interested in. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Yes or no ?

I don't think like you. I don't see things in your simplistic way. I don't accept that you try to limit my choice of answers either.

Just now, Chekhov said:

It's interesting that this thread has bought out all the virtue signallers in high dudgeon.

Started by one.

“the public expression of opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate … the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.”