Racism : Isn't This All Going A Bit Too Far ?

43 minutes ago, Palomar said:

>>Chekhov said:
I don't even know what you mean.

Just out of interest, do you think the fact one member of the crowd may have mad a racist comment to a player warrants it being in two headlines of The Times ?

Yes or no ?<<

I don't think like you. I don't see things in your simplistic way. I don't accept that you try to limit my choice of answers either.

How do you want to answer it then ?

Or is your post just a mechanism for not answering it ?

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I have three black mates who are built like brick toilets, I tend to call them sir. 😉

Funny enough I also have 3 black mates, (that's how they refer to themselves as well. It must be an age / generational / bloke thing?) & when only 2 of them walk in I always say, "And where's Diana Ross then?" 

Edited by Baron99
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Even if I did that's got nothing to do with virtue signalling, which is about signalling how virtuous you are because of much you care about other people (even if that's frequently inconsistent because this has all gone so far now it just means other people suffer for it, Mike Buckley's infamous comment being the most extreme example).

Well done Chekhov!

You have single handedly managed to inject your version of what a hack said on a radio show.

Buckley's Covid makes its 72  appearance in his 15th thread!

Your persistence is making  Buckley the most 'unfamous' person to make an "infamous comment"?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Racist is a word that's lost much of its meaning.

It's overused. 

Agreed. That's why we hear "far right" and "white supremacist" more and more now. Once they've been rinsed for all they're worth then other terms will come along.

The demand for racism is there but it just doesn't exist as much as people make out. That's why a comment from one person in a crowd of 31,000 suddenly becomes headline news, to keep the agenda going.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Racist is a word that's lost much of its meaning.

It's overused. 

This is exactly right.

15 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Well done Chekhov!

You have single handedly managed to inject your version of what a hack said on a radio show.

Buckley's Covid makes its 72  appearance in his 15th thread!

Your persistence is making  Buckley the most 'unfamous' person to make an "infamous comment"?

That comment (by Buckley or not, it doesn't really matter) sums up so much about this world we live in. Thus it  is relevant in so many different threads and it  will get quoted many more times.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

Agreed. That's why we hear "far right" and "white supremacist" more and more now. Once they've been rinsed for all they're worth then other terms will come along.

The demand for racism is there but it just doesn't exist as much as people make out. That's why a comment from one person in a crowd of 31,000 suddenly becomes headline news, to keep the agenda going.

There is hardly any racism in this country, particularly toward the black community. BLM, in the UK at any rate, was the biggest load of virtue signalling disproportionate cobblers ever.

What racism there is is more directed against the Muslim community but even there it is not because they are non white or even because they are Muslim, it's because they are seen not to integrate. Plus there are some cultural differences, they are, for instance, more likely to want to barter about the price of a job, which is why the odd tradesmen are reluctant to do work for them. 

I know a small number of people who are a bit racist but even they are still perfectly pleasant to non white people, treat them the same as white people, and are quite happy to "admit" they like "so and so" (who is black or whatever). The comment from the opener is relevant here :

What is interesting here is one of them was really quite offended that I was implying he was a racist and for the next minute or so he was wanting his mates to assure him he was not ! There is a lesson there for all of us.

Edited by Chekhov